Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco router 7206

Status
Not open for further replies.

onestrangeday

Vendor
Nov 11, 2011
TW
Hi Router Professional:

I have question regarding the dual power supply configuration for the Cisco router 7206, as my company use only single power configuration for the time being. But someone has proposed to add another power supply module to the router(reason is to enhance the reliability of router), so that in case of power unit failure the router can still work normally. (But the power source of router already has UPS which can stand for 8hrs already, so what's the point of having another power module to be installed in the router?

Do you think it is appropriate to add another power module to the router ??? I mean does it needed ? or in what situation does it require to have this dual power configuration for the router ?

thanks

Does the UPS take over if the power supply on the actual 7206 fails? I doubt it. The UPS will take over if the external power supply to the unit fails.

Adding another Power supply module / unit to the 7206 chassis gives you chassis power redundancy. (I guess).

yes, you are right the UPS will take over if the external power supply fails.

So in what situation would you add another power module to the Cisco routers ? I mean adding another power module to enhance the reliability of Routers, is this the usual way that used in the industry ?

thanks

If the single power supply fails (meaning the actual power providing unit transforing your power) you lose the entire router. In many cases in the IT world, especially in critical equipment you will have a redundant or even mutiple power supplies on devices.

thanks for providing the information.

If in our network system, we already have dual routers working together and each with only single power module, do you think is necessary to implement with dual power supply for each router?

thanks

If one router is capable of handling all the traffic in your network for a period of time should the other one fail (be it power supply or other issue) or you are willing to accept the degradation if one router is lost, you could argue that you don't need redundant power supplies in each router because the routers are already redundant for the each other and if you lose a power supply your network will continue to provide service. It really depends on the SLA and tolerance of your users on the network. One other question you want to think about how losing a router will affect peak network times versus normal network times. You may also want to consider what the failure rate is for 7206 power supplies and what the mean time to failure is compared to the age of your equipment and see if the cost still seem prohibited based on those factors.

Personally as a network engineer I always want to eliminate single points of failure whenever possible.

thanks for your comment and suggestion. I think I have better understanding on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back