Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Router 1700 failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigz123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2011
US
Hi there,

We have Cisco 1700 series router in the company which has VPN tunnel setup between our office and two separate data centers. I was worried what if this router goes down or just die. So I bought another Cisco 1700 Router.

Question: (1) Should I copy the Flash image from R1 to R2 (new) in case R1 die (will this be a HotSwap?) or (2) create a fail-over if one of them goes down.

For the flash image, I was thinking to follow below commands:

Router1#show flash
Router2#show flash (check enough space)
Router1#configure terminal
Router1(config)#tftp-server flash:/c2500-js-l.122-10b (or any name)
Router1(config)#^Z
Router2#copy tftp flash
Router2#show flash (for verification)

Any advise?

Thanks,

Jigz

You have to configure 2 tunnels using the two routers at the same time, i would probably use ip sla in combiation with policy based routing.

If you could be more specific with the infrastructure you are using I could help you better.

I think I would be more worried with the connection than the device. Having two seperate types of service and using HSRP would be a good setup. Having the second router with the same IOS and config loaded on it as a cold spare also a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back