Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Ringtones 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymondo206

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2003
GB
We are currently installing an IP soloution based on call manager that has a mixture of 7940's and 7960's handsets.

Our financial Director does not like any of the 25 supplied ring tones. Is there any way to replace the existing ones. He mentioned that 'on the series '24' they have 7960's with a different ring tone!' directors hay!!

Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thank in advance

yes you can change the ring tones. They are wave files that you can insert/change.

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNA, Network+
[americanflag]

If you go to the TFTP directory of the callmanager, think it is something like c:\program files\cisco\tftppath. There is a file called ringlist.dat or .xml. This is the file where all the rings are located. So you can add or delete entries from this file.

The wav files have to be made with the following settings:

Raw PCM (no header)
8000 samples per second
8 bits per sample
uLaw compression
Maximum ring size — 16080 samples
Minimum ring size — 240 samples
Number of samples in the ring must be evenly divisible by 240
Ring should start and end at the zero crossing

You can do this with a program like CoolEdit or something else.

Reagrds,

Simon

I have found the ring tone in wav format (24 CTU) and converted it to raw using cool edit. However when I transfere it to the cisco system there is a problem playing the tone. I comes out of the phone all distorted.

I have checked the setting and it all appears OK.

Any pointers gents.

I could send the wav file to you if required.

Thanks in advance
Ray

-------------------
You can use the Sound Recorder tool in windows. Just read a wave in and when saving it change the format from PCM to CCITT u-Law.
--------------------
<<copied from Tom Bilan post>> ThanX tom

I used this method to create our custom ring tones and it worked perfectly.
Just change the extension of the file to .raw.
copy it to
c:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPathand edit
c:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath\Rinlist.xml
hope this helps

Thanks for that that worked a treat. I can believe that this could be done with something so simple as windows sound recorder.

Cheers

Ray

Here's an example of how to do the conversion using SoX (available on most Linux distributions or can be downloaded from sox.sourceforce.net):

sox -t wav in.wav -t raw -r 8000 -U -b -c 1 - resample -ql out.raw

I've found the tftp directory, made changes to the XML files on both callmanagers, restarted both systems and reset all my phones but I'm still stuck with the same set of ringtones. Why?

I found that sometimes I had to do a manual reset on the phones by using **#**.

if your tftp server is set to cache (by default) you can turn off caching and then turn it back on it should cache the new file. You can also try restarting the tftp service

CCNA MCP NET+ A+

Hi Ray,

Can you tell me where you got the WAV file for that ring tone? I'd like to add it to my phone as well...

Thanks...

good idea....a web site full of rings tones would be good

NabsNabs

If you let me have your e-mail address I will send it to you.

Ray

Raymondo206, could you send me the ring tone as well. vulturecp@hotmail.com. Also Ive noticed there are two rings for 24's CTU. There is the internal ring and the external ring, have you noticed this?

Thank you,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back