Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbeullens

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2007
BE
Hi all!

We use a cisco 800 series router to connect to our DSL line.
This router is managed by the ISP and i can not access the config myselve (Ok, I can do password recovery etc, but that would start a war between us and the ISP)

Annyhow, I Can ask for a copy of the configuration (dump from config) and we can request anny changes we want.

One of these requests is to make it possible to reach our WAN-port IP address from our LAN-side.
In other words; be able to navigate to our WAN IP address from our local LAN.

The reason for this is that we have a couple of servers running and I have to make shortcuts to them for our users. Byt now i have to make one link with the local IP address to use from our local LAN, and one for use outside our LAN with the WAN IP address.

I want to create only one link with the WAN IP address in it, and if I could navigate to that WAN IP from our local LAN, that would realy make things easy.

BUT the guys from the ISP say that this is inpossible, because the CISCO router blocks this kind of traffic... Is this true?

I think its perfectly possible by use of a static route.

What is correct??? Annybody that can help?

I think i was a bit to fast, i will give more info:

We use PAT on our WAN ip
For example; traffic that comes in via port 45 will be redirected to a local ip on port 80 (where a webserver runs)

But that particular webserver must be reacheable from within our local lan and from outside (via that WAN address port 45)

This must be possible i think!?

For example make a route that redirects all traffic from inside our lan that is pointed to our wan IP on port 45, to the local ip-address of that webserver.

That way i can use one shortcut to our WAN ip on port 45, that will reach the required webserver from inside and outside our LAN.

Or does annybody know a different way?

I'm not a Cisco guy, but you should be able to make a "pinhole" that allows port 80 traffic from your secure network to your DMZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back