Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

swerrvin

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2002
US
I have been going nutts trying to figure this out. I keep having my Cisco 806 router power cycling. Sometimes it will be up for 1 day, other times only a few hours. The problem is, the time in which it is down varies. Sometimes only a minute or 2, other times up to 2 hours. I have 'show version' and 'show stacks' and see no errors. Shows that 'System started by power-on'. I have IOS version 12.2. I have a static IP addr. Could it be my ISP and my router power cycles in order to try to reobtain static ip address in the event their ip leasing server goes down...I am on adsl connection. help is appreciated. i am a big time newb with cisco.

Sounds like either a power problem where it's plugged in or possible internal power supply problem . It wouldn't reboot on it's own if it just lost the adsl connection .

are cisco power supply's universal and I guess it could be my ups that it's plugged into that may be surging although unlikely as other devices plugged into it aren't experiencing problems.

Try upgrading the IOS version before further troubleshooting the power supply. The IOS can be incompatible and I have seen where the IOS has re-booted the router. Although in those cases I got more detail on why the router re-booted in the show version output. Its definately worth a try. That and changing where the power cord plugs into.

I will try and update the IOS although I am weary as I am not all that good, however, i can't even get my grubby paws on the latest release as now (3 mos.ago) cisco requires you be under contract (which i no longer am) for any updates. i do however notice that internally i am able to ping the router although i am not getting any outgoing connections. up time is now 1.5 days although there is no outside traffic getting in or out. could i be getting DOS'd as i read that my release 12.2(1r) has that vulnerability. or is it as simple as my ISP has problems with it's Static IP assignment.

i did a 'reload' which rebooted. connectivity outgoing seems to be fine. i haven't a clue what the problem is here....doubt it's hardware related...i think it's getting flooded/dos'd. please advise. thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back