Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco newbie connecting 2 lans 2500 10.10.x.x & 10.22.x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyengr

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
US
I have two Lans that I need to connect thru a 2500 router with two ethernet interfaces.

The first Lan is 10.10.X.X
The second is 10.22.x.x

How do I set up these two ethernet ports to talk to each other?

I forgot the subnets.

Lan on ethernet0 is 10.10.x.x subnet 255.255.255.0
Lan on ethernet1 is 10.22.x.x subnet 255.255.254.0

ip subnet-zero
ip classless

int e0
ip address 10.10.x.1 255.255.255.0
no shut

int e1
ip address 10.22.x.1 255.255.254.0
no shut

^Z
'show ip route' should show the routes as directly connected
since they are already in the routing table there is no need to add static routes

I'm still not able to get any traffic across the router. Are there any further suggestions?

I have a total of 7 addresses on one side that need to reach a SCADA host on the other side.

Bad news, but 10.x.x.x is a private address range - also known as "not a routable IP address". In other words, e0 and e1 won't be able to send packets passed their own interfaces without the help of NAT or a proxy.

Do you know the three private address ranges?
10.X.X.X
172.168.X.X
192.168.1.X
None of these three address ranges can be routed. For more information on this, I would get directions for setting up NAT and PAT from Cisco's KB.
You said you have seven address ranges? You might want to look up subinterfaces, if you haven't already.

also, you said the following is your routing protocol config, I found an error in it.

Lan on ethernet0 is 10.10.x.x subnet 255.255.255.0
Lan on ethernet1 is 10.22.x.x subnet 255.255.254.0

I'm almost positive you just made a typo on this post and I shouldn't even mention it, but sometimes it's the simple mistakes that drive me nutz. On the end of your second line is 255.255.254.0 <--- note the 254. Will cause an error.

I hope this helps.

Correct, the 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.254.0 networks will not be able to speak to each other unless you have static routes in all Cisco devices that interconnect the 2 networks. Probably was a typo. As far as private addresses, if they are on your private network, they can be used. Here at Lockheed we have several thouisand 10.x.x.x addresses. They cannot be public IP's but inside your own LAN have at it. 127.x.x.x is only subnet to stay away from, even in your private LAN. You need to get RIP up and running and define the subnets and advertise them in the router. If they are on the same route and have same mask, they should already see each other. Don't know where you are at so far but these are my three cents.

In fact if you use the 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x and 192.168.x.x networks the ARE routable just not over the internet !!
All the routers from &quot;almost&quot; all the ISP's will drop packets going to the above ip ranges.

If you use a complete private network including leased lines and cables you can use the addresses above !

Could you please post the satus of both ethernet interfaces of both routers ? using &quot;show interface ethernet0&quot; or something like that?

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back