Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Network Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

webarnes99

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2002
US
To all --

Forgive me for being a newbie. I have (2) B class networks that are currently being routed by a dual interface Win2K box which has an IP from each network. This solution is far from stable as the machine that is routing is sick.

I have done some scavenging and found a Catalyst 3500 XL series switch with 24 FastEthernet ports. I also have a 2600 series router with a single Ethernet interface that could assist with the routing the two networks. I am not sure what the best way to configure the switch and the router is to give me a stable routing environment.

I hope this is enough information for assistance.

Thanks,
Wes Barnes

As it stands at the moment you can't.

Not sure about the 2600 router but can you buy an additional ethernet interface for it?

The switch is no use to you unless you want to look at VLAN's.

Andy Leates MCSE MCP+I

Yes... This will work. You want to look into 802.1q encapsulation on both the switch and the router. Setup your desired VLANs on the switch, and make a 802.1q or ISL trunk to the 2600 router. Setup the router for the necessary IP ranges for the VLANs, and your in.

This topology is commonly reffered to as "router on a stick".

-Bad Dos

the " Router on a stick " requires the router ro have a Fast ethernet port. 2620 or 2621. you must have a fast ethernet to do trunking.

you could also place both on the same layer 2 network and use the router as the layer 3 and use the secondary command...

example:
interface e0
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.0.0
ip address 10.1.0.1 255.255.0.0 secondary

This will work as long as you share the same layer 2
Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back