Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

rythmstr

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
Maybe some kind Cisco guru can give me some advise on something that would seem fairly simple to startup.

I'd like to setup a Cisco lab at home so I can get more comfortable with routers. I have what I think is a (9 pin) null modem cable. Well - it plugs into COM1 - and into the "config" port of the router just fine. However, when I try to access the router using hyperterminal in Windows, I get a lot of whacky characters in Hyperterminal - and it looks like nothing is happening on the router. To add on top of this, the router is a Cisco 760 (primarily an ISDN router).

Am I wasting my time trying to set this up? Are all Cisco commands the same in all routers? I know I'd have to "break into" this one first - and I'm not seeing a lot of information on that model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like line speed of com port and router console port did not match.

Great link flojr13 - Thanks! So by the sound of it, you guys are saying it's not a waste of time to toy with this?

Certainly not a waste but you'd probably get more benefit from having 2 routers connected back to back over serial. 2501's can be seen going on Ebay for ~250.

-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Well - I do have access to another 760. If I had access to $250.00 - it has priority to a new machine! Will the 2nd 760 help during my time of financial lacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back