Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco IP solution Vs Definity IP solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi All,
I am a visitor to the Forum & would like to post a question to you, We are in the process of implementing CISCO call manager (ICM) with the Definity(G3siV8) system. Does any one of you running the ICM with Definity , I need to know what are the pros & Cons of Cisco vs Definity, which is better & I was also told by Cisco that ICM can give us the reports similar to CMS.
Can anyone help me to find out- are ICM reports better as compared to CMS or vice versa?
Any response would be welcomed & appreciated.

Regards

We have also looked into that solution...basically...CISCO cannot provide (as of yet) similar functions as a dedicated Definity system can. VoIP is still pre-mature in technology, and should not be compared to a dedicated solution such as CMS. You will be dissapointed at the capabilities of CISCO's solution if you really need to keep track of hold-times, and other "mission-critical" data. Sure, CISCO's VoIP can do a lot - but it can't report on nearly the same level as CMS...

Thanks pbxman, I actually know some of the limitations of the IP solution but when we compare the reporting tool of CISCO with CMS, From the last meeting that I have with CISCO they confirm that ICM can generate the reports similar to CMS, I am not sure whether ICM would be able to talk with Definity to get the internal reports like the CMS did on its propreitery protocol.
What I understand from your reply is that the ICM would not be able to provide the hold time, could you confirm whether ICM can provide us the details like the extension in/ out for the agents reports or that's also a grey area ?
Thanks again in anticipation.
Regards

Def.

Similar isn't "the same as"..... And then again I wonder if Cisco can offer the same ACD funtionality as Avaya..

M.

MKU,
I also feel similar is not "same as.." It might be any way round it might be detailed or might be less informative than CMS, The question is does it make sense to invest in CMS or in Cisco solution because cisco solution is bundled with the IP solutions incl. softphones(IP) & cost wise both are same.

The ACD functionality of CISCO is similar like definity , it is slightly on the lower side but provides appx. 70% of Definity functionality.

Def : Could you share your experience on this as well

p.s.

The problem right now is that, according to me, you need that extra 30%.
At first most small ACD solutions start with about 25% of the functionality Avaya offers, but after a couple of months/years (depending on how large the call volume is, and how much management pressure there is) call centres start to use the added functionality and reporting capability offered by Avaya.
Right now cisco cannot offer this.

Like Leo V. Brown said, you should use cisco voip to integrate small remote offices into a companies VPN. Cisco's ip experience combines the data and voice networks into one solution which is good. Avaya is still staying behind on the data part, their R300 is a good product but it still has a lot of minor glitches.

If you are talking about high volume call centres you should be thinking about a "normal" voice system, not Voip as it is still too experimental. And again, Avaya's knowledge and history with voice systems is huge...

Euhm... I am writing to much, prolly can't get my thoughts straight... ah well it has been a busy day... maybe I'll write some mroe about this later.

M.

I would just like to add that it takes a long time and a lot of work to add call center features to a switch, whether it is a standard voice solution or VoIP. Call Center feature coding on the Definity G3 started in the mid 80s and it took Avaya (AT&T at the time) until 1994 to get in all the functionality that was on their old G2 switch. The other difficult part of ACD development is coordinating the changes in the switching equipment with the ACD reporting end of the product. If you add a switch feature that you want to track (some new agent status for example), you have to make the change in the switch and add the status to the information the switch sends the recording vechicle. On the recording vechicle, the data base associated with the ACD has to be modified plus the reporting has to be changed.
It is easier to change the back-end delivery system of the ACD call, from ISDN or DCP to VoIP since all the user interfaces and reporting remains much the same.
For this reason Avaya will have a leg up on Cisco in the ACD area for a few years anyway.

Leo V. Brown

Hello all;

I´m also studying the possiblity of implementing a Cisco ICM call center solution with about 1600 stations. Does anyone has this configuration running?
At this time we have 3 call centre running Avaya´s S8700, and this new (fourth) site would be an 100% Cisco, with integration with the 3 Avaya sites via PG, with an ICM.
In Brazil we would be the "first" client to implement the Cisco solution, I would thank all types of feedbacks about it.

Thank you,

Helder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back