Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco IP Phone 7906 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jgibbs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2005
US
I did a factory reset on this cisco 7906. Now it just flashes a red light when I plug it in and eventually restarts itself. Nothing ever displays on the screen. It was working before. I got one of these to test our asterisk server.

I have no idea how to get the phone "back". Right now it seamed pretty useless. I don't have any idea where to begin. I have tried starting it with the receiver off the hook, ect.. Nothing brings it back... It was working before the factory reset.

since you did a factory reset it lost all it's configuration.
You will need to go back and enter all the info it needs to register with your SIP pbx server. Same thing you had to do to get it working the first time.

I didin't configure it. I took it out of the box. It started fine and said Looking for IP or whatever. I did a factory reset and now there is nothing on the screen. The lights blink periodically and then the phone restarts. Again, nothing on the screen.

This may be a dumb question but are you plugging it into a Cisco PoE switch? The 7906 uses Cisco InLine Power, it is not a standards based power scheme. If you are plugging it into a non-Cisco true PoE switch, the power is wrong. I know this is a stretch since it seems to kind of power up but I just wanted to mention it. I have seen this same indication when trying to power a true standards based Cisco phone into an older 3524 INLine power switch. Lights come on occasionally but nothing else happens.

Let me add to pndscm suggestion that the 7906 out of the box will come with SCCP firmware unless specifically ordered with SIP. Since you are connecting to a Asterix you will need SIP firmware loaded to the phone.
I am not sure of top if a 7906 is SIP capable.

I am using a cisco 3500 XP inline power and a 3750 PoE. I understand it needs SIP firmware, but I want it to at least power on. Right now it doesn't show anything on the screen like it did before I did a factory reset..

the hold # on startup and press 123456789*0#
and the key combo that starts with a 3

I think the firmware got deleted when I did the factory reset. We do not have a cisco support contract. So is this phone we bought worthless now?

Ok, fix ISN'T easy, but I did some searching for you. You best bet is set up a hub on the phone and wireshark it to see if it is reaching out to a TFTP server. Lets hope it is, because you can set that up with your firmware and config. Here are some posts from another forum, as it requires an account I will cross post them here:

Code:
I did a factory reset on this cisco 7906. Now it just flashes a red light when I plug it in and eventually restarts itself. Nothing ever displays on the screen. It was working before. I got one of these to test our asterisk server.

I have no idea how to get the phone "back". Right now it seamed pretty useless. I don't have any idea where to begin. I have tried starting it with the receiver off the hook, ect.. Nothing brings it back... It was working before the factory reset.

Code:
If you have a hub, try sniffing the traffic from the phone. It may be looking for a TFTP server to download firmware/configuration from.
Code:
You set the option 160 for tftp server on your dhcp server. Place a config file with the mac address (of the phone) in the file name at the root of the tftp server. If you want, and I have time I can build a base config file for you. All you will have to do is fill out the parts. I know Trixbox has and endpoint manager that will auto build you a config also.

So pretty much, get the MAC, figure out what it is hitting for TFTP, then put a file there with that MAC with the config you need. Clear up the mud?

Here is my config for my 7960's on my TFTP, I know it is a different module, but google can give you a feel.

File: SIP0002FDAEF*** (MAC Address)

Code:
image_version: P0S3-8-12-00
proxy1_address: "192.168.1.75" 
call_manager1_addr : "192.168.1.75"
line1_name: 4700
line1_authname: "4700"
line1_shortname: "Line 1 4700" ; displayed on the phones softkey
line1_password: "Password"
line1_displayname: "CISCO SIP"; the caller id
proxy1_port: 5060
proxy1_address: 192.168.1.75
# Line 2 Setup
line2_name: 4701
line2_authname: "4701"
line2_shortname: "Line 2 4701"
line2_password: "Password"
line2_displayname: "Cisco SIP";
# Line 3 Setup
line3_name: 4702
line3_authname: "4702"
line3_shortname: "Line 3 4702"
line3_password: "Password"
line3_displayname: "Cisco SIP";
# Line 4 Setup
line4_name: 4703
line4_authname: "4703"
line4_shortname: "Line 4 4703"
line4_password: "Password"
line4_displayname: "Cisco SIP";
# Line 5 Setup
line5_name: 4704
line5_authname: "4704"
line5_shortname: "Line 5 4704"
line5_password: "Password"
line5_displayname: "Cisco SIP";
# Line 6 Setup
line6_name: 05
line6_authname: "4705"
line6_shortname: "Line 6 4705"
line6_password: "Password"
line6_displayname: "Cisco SIP";
# Phone Label (Text desired to be displayed in upper right corner)
phone_label: "Cisco SIP " ; add a space at the end, looks neater
phone_password: "cisco" ; Limited to 31 characters (Default - cisco)
user_info: none
telnet_level: 2
logo_url: "URL LOGO"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back