Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco IOS, IOS XR and NX OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montero84

Technical User
Jul 17, 2008
US
Hello,

I am preparing myself to try to pass the CCNA exam but, I have a concern... what will happen with the cisco IOS now that cisco has IOS XR and NX OS?, what about all the time I am using to get the CCNA?, woult it worth it?, I mean, are the command in the new cisco IOS XR and NX OS so different than the very well known cisco IOS?, does it mean I will need to invest more time to learn two new cisco IOS?, I would love to see what other people think and if they are concerned about it too.

Thanks in advance.

They won't change this in the CCNA for a while I bet. XR is only used on carrier grade gear. NX-OS is used on high end datacenter gear..

CCNA is more for branch and small site level of hardware.

Hello,

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it. Well, I really hope that cisco will keep the standard IOS software working in branch and small site level hardware as you said. At least I hope IOS XR and NX IOS won't be so different from the cisco IOS.

Thanks again!

Regular IOS isn't going away any time soon. I was in a session last June at CiscoLive covering the XR and NX. Those are specialized operating systems that go where IOS doesn't such as multithreaded, preemptive, multitasking capabilities. Talking with the engineers about XR and NX on lower end gear gave me the impression there were no plans to put XR or NX on the "normal" enterprise gear.

Yea they would have to do a total hardware refresh to run the newer code. Resulting in much more expensive processors and added memory..

I doubt it will happen anytime soon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back