Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco frame relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

prabath

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
LK
Can we build a private frame relay network using only cisco
routers and service providers carrier?

Yes, if what you are trying to say is that you are simply leasing a private connection i.e T-1 from your provider. You can run P2P or Frame or.... It's you link, you can run whatever your hardware is capable of.

Don Regards,

Don

thats about the same thing i said to the same question in another forum Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Lets keep in mind that FR is not "private".. you still go through a public switched network. If you want private, you go with a hard point to point line and black box encryption..

Dont mix security and the word private. This becomes much more important to Network Engineers with the implementation of HIPPA(HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT OF 1996) which requires certain security to be in place plus auditing for data trails of patient data and anywhere patient data resides.

We will all become much more involved with this sort of thing in the very near future if you are not already. Once that happens, understanding just what a "private" network is becomes very important.

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Also dont think that a point to point network is very private either. I'm a central office technician and we hold thousands of point to point T1's and every one of them has an acces point for monitoring so we can trouble shoot any problems. Any consideration of privacy on the internet has to have encryption or its not private at all.

Later, Greg

Thanks lot to all of you for helping me.
Here I am trying to explain what I wanted.

Say ABC has a private frame relay network.
Then what I thought is
1.ABC didn't buy any frame relay circuits from service provider.
2.ABC was provided by only T1 or E1 or 64 leased by provider but they don't aware about frame relay uses of ABC.
(T1 E1 or 64, are they below layer 2? Then frame relay,ppp are all layer 2 so )
1.To use frame relay why people go with frame relay service provider.
2.To use PPP they just buy leased cct. so why?
From your answers what I realized is we can build a frame relay cloud by using sisco routers . I would appreciate if you can provide me with detail on how to do this and sample configurations.
(This may be a unwanted matter but all of you know what marketing peoples expect from us)

The reason for the provider when you want a frame cloud is they have the frame relay switch that is needed at the Central Office( CO). They also have the software for building up the PVCs, handing off to a different LATA, handing off to a OC3 trunk etc.

The Point to Point is not like this. It does not need a frame switch, it normally has hard jumps at the CO( crossbars?) and provides no clocking, signal or anything else until you place your hardware on it.

So unless you buy a frame switch, pull in the wiring and build your own CO, you will be on a public *private* frame cloud. Normally speaking, a *private* frame will be a set path through the various CO's across a PVC(perment virtual circuit)... I guess a analogy would the PVC is something like a VLAN for the LAN. It is suppose to isolate the traffic to a known path and nobody else is suppose to use this path.

Since I'm not a frame expert or CO expert, anyone else that knows more, please join the party and enlighten us all :)

MikeS Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back