Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Ethernet Interface keeps going admin-down same time each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew4728

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
US
Everyday, my Ethernet0 (cable modem interface) goes admin-down at 12:50:5x PM. I can't think what is causing this and not able to find any info on the internet (yet).
Thanks all!

Sep 23 12:50:54: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down
Sep 23 12:50:55: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to down
Sep 23 12:50:58: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up
Sep 23 12:50:59: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

Yea, I forgot to mention my router is a Cisco 2514, with IOS version 12.2

If the interface that goes down is connected to the provider check the light on the cable modem. Are they all on and active, if no, then the problem is your provider signal. If the it's LAN interf. then check your cables. Also, administratively down mean you did not turn on the interface.

Ok, but the problem is, the interface is UP and on 24/7.
It goes admin down at 12:50, then the protocol goes down, then the interface goes up, and the protocol goes up. all within 5 seconds of each other.

This occurs daily at 12:50, and I don't know why.

I am not on the router doing anything when this occurs, I don't have any programs or processes that specifically run at 12:50 each day (that I know of), and I can't imagine any that would cause this on my cisco router.

I'll keep looking to see if there are any known bugs or something...

seems like your ISP is running some kind of tool everyday that brings your connecting down for couple seconds.
At least that would be my first idea.

Yea I have thought of that, buy that wouldn't set the state of the interface to ADMIN DOWN, just protocol down.

I think it's something on the router, possibly due to config changes I made..
The problem is, I don't know when it started occuring, I didn't notice it until lately, and I have been making LOTS of changes on this router as I use it as sort of a LAB, to learn my Cisco certs..

I'll keep looking and post here if I find anything:)

Thanks for all your help guys/gals!

is this 12:50am? I read some where that the samething happen to him and he discovered that the cleaning person was unplugging the roueter to vaccum at night.

This is 12:50 noon. Unfortunately I don't have a cleaning lady :(

I know it's not losing power for several reasons :
none of the other interfaces go down
the uptime on the router is 6weeks 2days
it is on a battery backup as well

You will get ADMIN DOWN if the link signal on the Ethernet goes away, i.e. disconnected cable or power-cycling the modem, not PROTOCOL DOWN.

Nah, Admin down means the router has shut off the connection even though the cable is plugged in. This can be when you config an interface to "shutdown".

I'm not sure why my router keeps turning off my E0 for a split second everyday..

If you unplug the ethernet cable to the cable modem, or turn off power to the cable modem, you will get :

Sep 27 13:44:08: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1,changed state to down
Sep 27 13:44:17: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1, changed state to up

Are you connected to an ethernet switch or hub??

if you have another hub or something, throw that in the loop and see if it happens..

BuckWeet

Well, I have the Cable modem going into E0 on the router, and E1 goes to a Dlink 24 port Switch..

E1 does not go admin down at all, only E0.

Also, I do have a Cisco Catalyst 2900 switch on the way to replace the Dlink:)

I doubt it will make any difference on the E0..

Also, I replaced the cable from cablemodem to E0, not that it would make any difference, but the cable on E0 had a goofy plastic clip and was loose...

Just to help clear up any confusion, losing a link on an Ethernet port will not cause 'Administratively Down.' That would cause Line Down/Protocol Down.

Admin Down is either caused by the Shutdown command, or by Port Security (on a switch, but not the case here).

I have also seen a rare instance of an interface going into Admin Down due to an enormous amount of errors causing the controller to reset. That was rare though, but could happen.

What's interesting here is that it is happening on schedule.

Would it be possible to see your config (minus passwords and IP addresses)?

Also, if you could clear the counters on your interface and then copy/paste your 'show interface E1' here after it happens again, it might be helpful.

Thanks.

BierHunter
CNE, MCSE, CCNP

Here is my config on the router (R1) :
version 12.2
service timestamps debug datetime localtime
service timestamps log datetime localtime
service password-encryption
!
hostname "R1"
!
enable secret
enable password
!
clock timezone Central -5
ip subnet-zero
ip name-server X.X.X.X
ip name-server X.X.X.X
!
ip dhcp pool client
import all
network X.X.X.X 255.255.255.224
dns-server X.X.X.X
default-router X.X.X.X
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
description CABLE MODEM
ip address dhcp client-id Ethernet0
ip access-group 110 in
ip access-group 111 out
ip nat outside
no ip mroute-cache
no mop enabled
!
interface Ethernet1
description LAN SWITCH
ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.0 secondary
ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.224
ip nat inside
no ip mroute-cache
!
interface Serial0
ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
!
interface Serial1
no ip address
shutdown
!
router rip
version 2
network X.X.X.X
network X.X.X.X
!
ip nat translation tcp-timeout 3600
ip nat translation udp-timeout 3600
ip nat inside source list 100 interface Ethernet0 overload
ip nat inside source static tcp X.X.X.X 80 interface Ethernet0 8082
ip nat inside source static tcp X.X.X.X 6346 interface Ethernet0 6346
ip nat inside source static tcp X.X.X.X 6347 interface Ethernet0 6347
ip nat inside source static tcp X.X.X.X 3389 interface Ethernet0 3389
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X 254
no ip http server
!
!
access-list 100 **OMITTED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES**
access-list 110 **OMITTED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES**
access-list 111 **OMITTED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES**
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
dialer-list 1 protocol ipx permit
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server enable traps tty
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password
login
!
end

I have a second router (2501) hooked up through S0 using RIP for convergence.
I've cleared my counters and just waiting for 12:50 to grab that info and post..

Thanks all..

Thanks for the info.

Don't really see anything there that could be causing it, but always good to double check things.

Also, I'm sure you caught my mistake above in saying interface E1, when you obviously have been saying E0 all the time. ooops :)

There's got to be a reason for this. We'll get it figured out eventually I'm sure.

BierHunter
CNE, MCSE, CCNP

on your E0 access lists are you permitting the dhcp reply?

try taking the access-lists off

great, I don't know what I did, but now it didn't occur at 12:50 PM, it occured at 9:28 PM

Sep 28 21:28:26: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down
Sep 28 21:28:27: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to down
Sep 28 21:28:30: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up
Sep 28 21:28:31: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

I do make changes on this router often, being that it's also my study/lab router. But can't think of any changes that would be causing this, or to cause the time to change..

I'm going to see if it goes down tommorow at 12:50 or 9:28 and go from there..

Also, to answer Buckweet's Question, I specifically allow my DHCP server and my ISPs local node (first hop) in my ACLS.. Even tried turning them off for a day, problem occured :(

Dang :(

Sep 29 21:28:34: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down
Sep 29 21:28:35: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to down
Sep 29 21:28:37: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up
Sep 29 21:28:38: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

Tommorow, hopefully if it isn't busy at work, I will try to remote in and see if I can see anything peciliar happen to cause this, cuz I'm still stumped:(

Hey just for a shot in the dark, try switching the configs on E0 and E1, and see what happens. Also try upgrading the IOS version if possible. Just a thought.

sounds like a duplicate IP address to me... Make sure you allow ICMP echo on your outside interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back