Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco console connection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulty

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
When consoled into my Cisco 2501, if I press the up arrow to retrieve past command, it will retrieve it, but then also send a few extra chars for some reason that are show on the screen as '^@' and result in a carriage return, executing the command. An example:

Walter>sh arp
Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
Internet 10.0.0.2 10 00d0.58ac.ea15 ARPA Ethernet0
Internet 10.0.0.1 - 0050.736c.0000 ARPA Ethernet0
Internet 10.0.0.50 9 000f.f70f.3740 ARPA Ethernet0
(This is where I hit the up arrow, note that that is the only key I press)
Walter>sh arp^@
Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
Internet 10.0.0.2 10 00d0.58ac.ea15 ARPA Ethernet0
Internet 10.0.0.1 - 0050.736c.0000 ARPA Ethernet0
Internet 10.0.0.50 9 000f.f70f.3740 ARPA Ethernet0
Walter>^@
Walter>^@

I'm using Hyperterm and have tried various emulations, nothing seems to help.

Stop using Hyperterm. It's an absolute piece of trash. Whoever wrote the program should be hung by his toenails and flogged.

If you want a *real* terminal emulator that's free, get TeraTerm Pro or Putty. Either one is much, much, much better than Hyperterm. I personally use TeraTerm Pro and love it.

If you want to spend $99 for some software, SecureCRT is even better.

HTH,
John

The REAL Cisco way of retrieving the last command is to use the CTRL-P combination.

To jump to the beginning of a line, use CTRL-A
To jump to the end of a line, use CTRL-E

There are a bunch of CTRL-<> combinations, but those are the three biggies. All of the CTRL-<> combinations are listed in any CCNA book.

Marc

Hyperterm isn't that bad. Never had that problem that you described ulty. Check all your settings correctly?

I have had the exact some problem that ulty is describing, and no there aren't any setting issues he can adjust, well there weren't any i could find that helped. Just use the CNTL-P combo and you'll be fine.

i believe it is a problem with the older cisco ios sets that don't interpret the incoming ascii correctly, as the newer cisco ios's dont seem to have that problem anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back