Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CISCO configuration files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonm

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
DE
Hello,
i´m new with CISCO routers. Can anyone tell me anything about the management of the configuration file ? My question is what happens if i erase the startup.cfg. What happens after a reboot without the startup.cfg also without a config file? Does the router dont boot then or do all work proper and later i will be able to store this "emty" configuration as a new "empty" startup.cfg ? If so, where does the router stores the hardware composition. In the running config? I have some experiences with BayRS.To make a new initial configuration there is a "emty" config available called in example ti_asn.cfg. It can be used to do something like this. It would be nice if anyone can tell me where i can find configuration guides (pdf´s) for CISCOS.

Thanks in advance !!!

If you delete startup-config, your router will typically prompt you to go into an automated setup mode (I say typically because your config register might tell it to do otherwise). If you choose to do so, it will prompt you with various questions and create a minimal running-config for you (which you can then copy to startup-config). If you elect not to, the router is a piece of clay. You can manually mold the running/startup-config as you desire. I don't think there are any generic router config guides on CCO. There are conifig guides for various technologies though. You can group them as appropriate. And, of course, there is always a HUGE command reference published for each major IOS release.

Finally, there are some really bad but free tools on CCO that attempt to help you generate config files. Config Maker is one that comes to mind.

Scott

Hello Scott,
many many thanks for your help !!! I think that´s the wrong forum to tell thinks like this but i will miss BayRS...

HI:

I am not sure I can tell you how to get there, ut i can email you the configs for a 2600 series if that will help?

Cisco has a book for every model with about every detail possible. I have set-up several and find it quite easy thru the serial port and a portable computer. If you have several routers, you can also set it up to look for the configuration on a specific router so that your sneaker-net time is minimized. Almost always you should have a copy of the file on the server or any other place like your favorite portable so you can tweek it. The key is programing them in a similar manner with the exception of the IP and of course the location of your configuration file. I don't have a PDF but Cisco sends a book out wiht every router they replace.

Wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back