Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Concentrator or Cisco PIX regarding VPN and document types

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForumKid

MIS
Dec 21, 2001
US
I have a question that I think can be configured. I dont know how, but I'd like to know if this is possible.

We have a network where users VPN in from the outside to a 3005 concentrator. All traffic is inside the tunnel, which is good. My question is, if the users are uploading files to the server (PDF, .DOC, .GIF), these files should not be encrypted. They are not sentisitive and would perform much better if they were not encrypted. Is that capability supported?

It is not possible! Interesting traffic is based on source and destination IP addresses not on traffic type.

everything going through the VPN tunnel is encrypted, there's no way around that, other than to not use a VPN tunnel.

You could use some other type of transport such as FTP, but you would have to make that system hosting FTP available to the internet on the designated port.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Understood. Thank you for the clarification. No way in hell would I open up an FTP server to the Internet :).

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back