Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Book From Sybex (607)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Any good?

Thanks,

BM

You would be better off with the 640-607 book by
Wendell Odom which is what two of my co-workers
used (in addition to the cisco network academy)
plus boson exams to prepare for their exams.

Just so you know, the material for CCNA certification
is going to get much harder. New CCNA's will need to
know EIGRP, Single Area OSPF, VLSM, WAN (stuff from
CCNP BCRAN), route summarization, etc. The new
CCNA exam should be out probably by Fall of 2003.

I'll look that one up thanks. I actually have the Sybex one and it seems overly simplfied.

BM

Hello dogbert2.

The CCNA exam was changed about around Feb 2002 (From 5007-6007). Is this what you are talking about, or is there another change in the winds? I can't find any mention of it anywhere.

Thanks.

Heh,

Well, hold on to your socks, since we have a regional
network academy here, and the instructors have been gearing up for the new material. So I suspect cisco will make
the official announcement within the next 3-4 months (I
got advance word from the guy in charge of our network
academy). The new exam will be much harder, but more
inline for what a entry level person should know (IMO).

I have found the Sybex book to be quite good if you are new to switching and routing, it gives a gentle introduction to these technologies. however I feel that the crucial chapter on IP addressing and Subnetting is not that great, and the final chapter on WAN technologies feels rushed.

If I were to make the decision again, I would go for the Cisco press book, although it will probably scare the bejeezers out of a complete novice it seems 'concise'

just my thoughts,

Best of luck

EB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back