Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco ATA 186-l2A for use with MCD 5.0 SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

acskmk

Programmer
Apr 26, 2011
US
Hello. Has anyone used a Cisco ATA 186 to convert analog to IP? We would like to connect analog phones and FAX machines to our VoIP network. I believe we will use the SIP protocol? The ATA is on the network and has an IP address it is already assigned to the appropriate VLAN. I have an analog princess phone plugged into 1 port and some DHCP options have already been added. I believe we have the appropriate licenses. What device type do I use? Better ideas for setting this up? Thanks!

Yes. I did have that but thank you for taking the time to reply!

A User license is all that is needed with MCD5.0. You just make the device type a Generic SIP.
Subscribe with the extension number and password if required/set. This is done in the 'Access and Authentication' tab in 'Users and Devices'.

Great! How do I subscribe? I have the web access of the ATA config and the voice menu function button will allow me to change the settings. I just need to know what settings to modify to subscribe. Do I use the Mitel registration code? Thanks sarond!

I'm not familiar with that exact model but the general use is to put the Mitel System IP address in the Proxy/Registrar field and the extension number in the user/Auth ID field and a password if one is set. There is no need for the registration code.
The SIP device should then register to the Mitel System.

Great! I'll give that a shot. Thank you sarond!

Update: I was able to set some of the voice menu parameters but the configuration is still sitting at SCCP and it needs to be changed to SIP. When I enter the voice commands to authenticate using SIP it says invalid configuration. Any thoughts?

Thank you Whykap! I was afraid I would have to do that but I was hoping I didn't. Thanks for the link. Good information there. Unfortunatley, the URL in the upgrade procedure is no longer valid. I think I'm getting closer though. The firmware is 3.2.4 so I'm hoping I can figure out the tftp procedure to change the config. Thanks

Update: I was able to successfully upgrade the ATA manually as a test using the only software I was able to find on the cisco website as a registered user. It was ata_03_02_04_sccp_090202_a.zip. It looks like this ATA 186 l2-A is end of life and I suspect that this is why there is no software for SIP? I believe I would need to repeate this manual process with ata_03_02_04_SIP_090202_a.zip. If anyone can help me locate that software or if you have other ideas, please advise. Thank you!

Correct. It's an end of life, end of support product. The software you upgraded is still sccp so it will be of no use. The 186 has been replaced with the ATA 187 which is SIP only.
The latest sip software I found on cco is from 2003.
Here's a link. You will need a valid cco id and the correct privileges to download however. If you could get 3.2.4 you should be able to get that one too:

look for version 2.1.6(2) which is sip

We had one of those as well and ended up leaving it in its box , its a call manager only device. We got a 122 as a replacement

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Thanks for the info!! I'll check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back