Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco ATA 186 configuration w/ IPO412

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrooke

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2008
CA
Hi,
Trying to configure a Cisco ATA 186 for use with IPO-412. We have third party H.323 license and VCM card (number of channels: unknown at the time of writing this post.
-Phone rings,
-Can see caller-ID but no talk path. Cannot ear at both ends.
Have an extension defined as IP, using "H450 support": H450, "Allow direct Media Path": check (Hum...)

Anyone has already configured the ATA 186 can provide me both ends (Extension & ATA) config tips?
Thx in advance.
... meanwhile still going through all threads...

You can try to disable "direct media path"
No speech is almost always a routing problem

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Thx. I'll git it a try. Will have to wait until customer gives me a "go" for a reboot...

But has anyone manage to get this ATA-186 running properly on an IPO?

I've tried a few things last week and now the status is the following:
From phone on ATA I can place calls and voice is good but when calling an extension on the ATA from any other phone I get a busy tone. Does it have anythig to do with the registration of the ATA on the "gatekeeper" in this case the IPO?

N.Rooke

Unchecking the "direct media path" worked. Only one issue left: ATA is located in another building linked by fiber. Path: PSTN <-> IPO <-> switch <-> fiber converter <-> fiber <-> fiber converter <-> switch <-> ATA <-> Analog phone.

When calling main number and then transfered to analog extension on ATA caller cannot ear anything but person called can ear clearly caller. As if no path was found in one direction.

Tried it in main building: PSTN <-> IPO <-> switch <-> ATA <-> Analog phone. And it works perfectly.

Ping average time between both buildings (using fiber) = 65ms from PC to ATA (other end of fiber). Although I know the ATA has a 10Mb/HalfDuplex ehternet port configuring the switch accordingly does not change a "ms" from auto-negotiate.

Any ideas? Will probably try to change fiber patch, fiber converter at both ends... but if someone has anything else to propose...
Thx!
N. Rooke

No speach is a routing issue (like i said before)
And i am pretty sure because disabling the direct media path solved your problem a bit

Can you set the ATA 100Mb full duplex ?

Thx tlpeter!
Reading your answer just reminded me something... about routing! I will let you know in a few days how it went.

As for the ATA unfortunately it is hardware limitation.

Thx again,
N. Rooke

you may need to add a route in the IPO if it is on a different subnet.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Hi Everybody

I am also trying to connect a cisco ata 186 to an IP office

We have it so it can make and recive calls but there is no audio when the call is established

we have tried direct media path both on and off

any body have any other ideas

Thanks in advance

Hi Chris,
I had this problem when I realized I was not using the right RxCodec and TxCodec in the ATA config. By default it is set to G711A-Law while usually we use G711u-law. I've change both values from 1 to 2 and it started to work much better. I still have a voice path issue when getting a call from the PSTN. But working on it...
Hope this helps,
N. Rooke

Still have a "one-way" voice path issue. But first, let me "explain" how it is connected:
PSTN(T1)<->IPOffice<->data switch<->fiber converter<->fiber optic link from Building_1 to Building_2<->fiber converter<->data switch<->Cisco ATA<->Analog phone.
Symptom: When calling from the PSTN, phone rings, can ear caller but caller ears nothing.
Now, when using the following path(inside building_1 only):
PSTN<->IPOffice<->data switch<->Cisco ATA<->Analog phone. then it works just fine. Caller can ear.
The fiber link is use to reach another building and all IP-Phones are working just fine. It's only this Cisco-ATA that gives me trouble. Environment is VoIP, voice network and data network are separated (two different subnets running on seperate network gears).
Any ideas anyone? I'm running out of them!
Thx!
N.Rooke

how can do secondary dial tone with H.323 ATA 186 or cant do this?

Depends on the version

If 4.0 or higher then route the call true ARS
If lower then true lcr but you need to make shortcode for that

I finnaly got the settings on both pieces: ATA and IPO. Working great.
Thank you all for your help. If needed, I can send to configuration that worked for me upon request.
N. Rooke

I would be interested in the final configuration

Here's the final configuration that worked for me.
Thx to everyone that helped solving this issue.

CISCO ATA-186 FIELDS CONFIGURED THAT WORKED FOR ME IN A H323 CONFIGURATION:
(Fields not shown haven’t been changed)

Field Value (new)
StaticIP IP address of ATA
StaticRoute Gateway for subnet
StaticNetMask Subnet Mask
UID0 Extension-1
PWD0 Extension-1 password
UID1 Extension-2
PWD1 Extension-2 password
GkOrProxy IP address of IP Office
RxCodec 2
TxCodec 2
ConnectMode 0x0006e407
DialTone 2,31537,30830,1490,1859,1,0,0,0
BusyTone 2,30466,28958,1246,1583,0,4000,4000,0
ReorderTone 2,30466,28958,1246,1583,0,2000,2000,0
RingbackTone 2,30830,30466,793,862,0,8000,24000,0
SITTone 2,30466,28958,1246,1583,0,2000,2000,0

About tone values:
From Cisco documentation: Recommended Cisco ATA Tone Parameter Values by Country. These values are for Canada.

VOIP EXTENSION CONFIGURATION IN IP OFFICE (4.1.12) THAT WORKED FOR ME
In VoIP tab:
•Compression mode : G.711 uLaw 64k (since it
is a LAN environment)
•Gain : Default
•H450 support : H450

uncheck VoIP silence suppression
check Enable faststart for non-avaya ip phone
uncheck Fax transport support
check Out of band DTMF
uncheck Local tone
uncheck Allow direct media path

Hope this will help a few... Be aware that these settings worked for me in the environment I worked in. You may have to adjust a few settings depending on many factors such as Country, LAN, network traffic, call quality, etc...
Have fun!
N. Rooke

Found another problem. (Will this ever end!?)

Call disconnect after exactly 1:59(almost 2 minutes). My ConnectMode parm is set to 0x0006e47 and the GkTimetoLive set to 300.

Could it be a network issue, knowing the ATA ethernet port runs at 10Mb / Half duplex switch port set to AUTO ?

Anyone encountered this problem?
Thx,
N. Rooke

Hum... I just noticed something reading and observing...

In the IP-Office Gatekeeper config, the RTP port range starts at 49152 to 53246.
In the ATA configuration, parm MediaPort starts at 16384.

RTP from ATA is way below the lower limit in the IPO.
Did anyone played with this ?
I guess it is easier to change the value in the ATA instead of modifying the lower-end value in the IPO as it probably request a "reboot".

I will give it a try and let you guys know... unless someone tells me it not worth it!
Thx,
N.Rooke

Well, after changing the RTP base port in the ATA to match the IPO RPT range I lost the voice!
Any ideas ?

N. Rooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back