Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco ASA 5510 Url Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttb

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2008
IE
Hi,

I recently purchases a CISCO ASA 5510 firewall. We want to block websites on this. Currently you can only block by IP address which would be very difficult to maintain.

Does anyone know of any cost effective solutions you could use for this. I am aware Cisco offer some but they all seem to be licencse based and my boss is looking for something in a once off purchase. Is this even possible?

Any help would be great!

There are 3 solutions.

1) Purchase the license
2) Write a macro (easier if it is command line managed)
- this involves using a GetByHostname function on a computer to find the IP of a website
3) Use a 3rd party firewall
- You could use Squid Cache. My offices go through a squid cache. This requires a dedicated server to run on
- You could use Untangle. This is my favourite. I use it at home and at work.

-> it has many features such as network antivirus, spam blocker, router.

it just requires a computer. you could use a workstation, with 2Gb ram, 40Gb HDD and a couple of NICs. Or you could purchase the Untangle Appliance. I run it on an 866Mhz 1998 Dell, and it is fine.

Asciid //
- MySQL developer
- AMD Technical Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back