Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 'ANSWER' softkey is redialing and not picking up the incoming call

Status
Not open for further replies.

slp123

Technical User
Oct 25, 2005
CA
Our Cisco 7965 reception phone intermittently cannot pick up an incoming call on the lines nor on the sidecar.

With the phone idle we receive an incoming call but we cannot pick up by doing any of the following:
*Taking the receiver off-hook
*Pressing the line button beside the incoming call
*Pressing the soft-key ANSWER
All options redial to someone in our office;'Auto Dial' shows on left bottom of screen.
Takes several minutes to correct itself. Strangely the number it continues to dial is not a number we just transferred someone to.
I though at first the softkey REDIAL was stuck even though the softkey ANSWER showed on the screen.
It lasts for about 4 minutes.
I unplugged the phone to reboot and it is ok for another couple of weeks.

Any thoughts.

Do you hav more than one operators?
Also what version of cucm and are you on the latest 7965 and sidecar firmware?

Something simple to check - see if any of the keys are stuck / sticky, I have seen make up and skin creams cause similar issues, the key sticks for a while, but eventually releases returning the phone to normal until the next time that particular button is pressed.

We upgraded to CUCM 10.5 last year in Nov; the phone load is SCCP45.9-4-2-1 which is showing on that Reception phone.
Where would I find in CUCM software the phone load of the 2 add-on modules?

How many operators:
We have two Reception 7965's each with 2 add-ones.
Inside office with our main business line (same phone load) and one with another DID (same phone load). We can call/fwd the main to the other whenever needed.

Thanks for this suggestion and it is appreciated as sometimes it can be something like this; not this time though.
I did check at the time plus I turned the phone side ways and didn't see anything off but ran my hands over to unlock anything stuck but I could still not answer the call.
When the phone is idle the first softkey is REDIAL and when a call comes in it is ANSWER. I thought that the softkeys were not keeping up with the phone activity even though the word 'answer' was there.

That can happen with the answer key not being responsive, but usually it won't answer but not do a redial.
What I'm getting to with the 2 receptionist is this scenario that I've seen time and time again:

Incoming phone call rings on both receptionist phones.
Softkey changes from redial to answer.
Operator A answers the call.
Operator B hits the answer button a second later, not noticing that is has changed to redial now.
Operator B complains that she can't answer calls.

Can that be your issue?

Can the opearator answer by simply picking up the handset? Try that also for troubleshooting purposes.

Also make sure all your 7965 are running the same load. That would eliminate a phone load issue, assuming nobody else is experiencing that same issue.

If none of that works, replace the phone to see if the issue goes away.

Again, if that operator is the only one having the issue, I would be inclined to say it's user error.

Thanks for the response.
We don't receive the same calls. We have it set up that inside has our main line which receives incoming calls and front desk with its own extension is dial backs returning from DID's etc. When the inside office with the main line is forwarded to main reception DID all new incoming go to her first line and cascade down.

Each time this happened was when the inside office 7965 housing the Main line was call forwarded to the front desk DID reception phone so there was only one operator answering calls. The majority of the time this is the case expect for high volumne times.

When this issue happened we could not pick up the call by only picking up the handset. Both have the same phone load. The odd time a user has said their phone is redialing to someone however it has been very rare.
May have to replace the phone if it happens too often.

So this happens when one operator is forwarded to the other one?
And did you mention the call volume tends to be high when that happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back