Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco & Sonicwall VPN conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
There are differing opinions about whether a Cisco & SonicWall VPN adapter can exist on the same PC. That being said, my company requires that I use both and on my laptop, they don't like each other. It's EXTREMELY frustrating to have to install & uninstall as the need arises.

So.... has anyone found a reliable solution that is easy to work with?

Thanks.....

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Hi,

I have the same problem. I need to use SonicWall and Cisco client on my laptop.

Have you made any progress in the problem.

/Henrik

Yes, and no....

Further research has found that the two applications don't like each other and can't exist at the same time on the same machine. The workaround that we're using now is to have two seperate hard drives (we all use laptops) that are basically identical except that one has Cisco VPN cleint and the other has SonicWall. Still a pain but at least it beats the uninstall/re-install headache.

The same could be done with a desktop by using 2 OS's and a multi-boot setup (XP & 2000 for example). Load 1 client on XP and the other on 2000 and reboot when needed. This will work because there are 2 different registries and "never the twain shall meet".

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Works fine, create two batch files.

To start your cisco vpn client:

REM STOP SONICWALL VPN CLIENT AND LAUNCH CISCO CLIENT

net stop rampartsvc
net stop IreIKE
net stop IPSECMON
taskkill /F /IM SafeCfg.exe
taskkill /F /IM SWGVpnClient.exe

net stop cvpnd

net start cvpnd

cd "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\"
start ipsecdialer.exe

To start your sonicwall VPN Client-
REM STOP CISCO VPN CLIENT AND LAUNCH SONICWALL CLIENT

net stop cvpnd
net stop IreIKE
net stop IPSECMON
taskkill /F /IM SafeCfg.exe

net start rampartsvc

cd "C:\Program Files\SonicWALL\SonicWALL Global VPN Client\"
start SWGVpnClient.exe

Hey Adam,

I have Cisco VPN client and SonicWALL VPN client installed on my machine and have tried your batch file but without success.

FYI There is no rampartsvc.exe running on my machine and there is no file named that on my machine. I have the following processes running when I try to close Sonic and open Cisco:

msdtc.exe
msdtssrvr.exe
msftesql.exe
sqlservr.exe

Any ideas if they could be interfering?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back