Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco & FXS & FXO

Status
Not open for further replies.

macphoneguy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
US
I am wanting to specifically wondering about FXS & FXO capacity on the Cisco Routers, Specifically how many Ports one can have of each,
I am specifically looking to have a 1 to 1 relation ship, FXO port 1 rings FSX port 1, port 2 rings Ports to I know there are smaller ones that can do 2 & 4 ports I am looking for 12-24 ports

thanks in advance

Yes, that should be possible. As long as you have a router that can physically support the FXS/FXO ports required and have sufficient PVDM resources, that should work just fine. For example, if you have a 3800/3900 series router with two bays in it, you can install two EVM-HD-8FXS modules. Each module would then have a EM-HDA-6FXO add-on. Between the two, you would have 12 FXO ports and 16 FXS ports. Newer routers like the 4400 series, may be more tricky as they only support NIMs that have 4-6 analog ports on them and may not be able to provide enough ports.

The only issue is you will have to go with older hardware (at least that I can think of). There's just not much reason these days to need a large amount of FXO ports. Most situations that require that amount of PSTN call volume would go with a T-1 or SIP trunk, so Cisco currently only makes hardware for large FXS deployments (for fax machines and other analog end points) but not large FXO deployments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back