Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Aironet between two buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

gscheepers

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm looking for a suitable solution to provide connectivity between two buildings (approx. 15 metres apart).

I've been looking at Cisco's Aironet 1300 as a possible solution for this, but would appreciate some feedback and advice before I go down this route.

There will be around 15 users in this building and I would also like to run VOIP phones to the other office.

Kind regards,

Gerhard

Gerhard Scheepers

"Great souls have wills; feeble ones only wishes..."

There's no reason not to, unless there are Line of Sight issues between the buildings. If you don't want to pay extra for outdoor APs you can buy indoor ones and use an external antenna (this is largely determined by your building's characteristics and how the install will work).

Obviously normal guidelines for QOS and separate VLANs apply, but this is a pretty straightforward implementation.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

Heck, you could run an ethernet cable for that short of a distance!
That would be the cheapest, but only if you can hide and protect the cable. Fiber would also work, of course, depending on the hardware. My point is that a physical cable would work with that short of a distance, but depending on your situation, AP's may be the most feasible.
Ethernet can carry up to 100 meters without a repeater (switch, etc).

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back