Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Aironet 1300 - want to connect 2 buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrsux

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2004
US
I didn't see a wireless section so I hope this is ok to post in this forum.

I have two Cisco Aironet 1300 Wireless Bridges and all I want to do is make them talk to each other. I'm surprised its been this difficult to find any documentation on this. I previously used two Netgear WG102's but they can't handle 15 IP phones plus the traffic of about 15 computers. (It only took about 10 minutes to configure the Netgears to communicate). I am almost overwelmed by the interface of Cisco's Aironet 1300. On the Netgears, all I had to do was put in the MAC address of the other access point and that was it, they were communicated with each other. On the Aironet 1300's however, I can't seem to find any of this. Am I missing something!?

Can anyone help me please??!!

Thanks! :)

The 1300 works as a bridge, but I don't think you are going to get what you want out of this solution.

1) How far apart are the building?
2) What speed are you expecting to get?
3) What speed do you need to get?
4) What Codec are you using to communicate with these phones?
5) What radio is in the 1300s?

15 phones is a lot of bandwidth. You won't be able to get more than 5-7 calls using a 1300 with B radios. You would probably do OK with G radios, but you would have to setup some serious QoS for the voice part.

In Express Setup set the mode to Bridge.

It is what it is!!

Paste your config in here and I will help you. I have 2 1300 devices setup to link 2 buildings in my network.

I think I got it. I reset them both to factory defaults, then made one a "Root" and configured SSID and WEP settings on it. Then on the second 1300, I left it in "Install Mode" and configured the same SSID and WEP settings, then added the "Root Parent" MAC address in the "Non-Root" radio settings. Once I had all the correct settings, I made it a "Non-Root" and they automatically associated with one another.

It's been up for a week straight w/out one single timeout. Yeeeahhh!

Thanks for your help.

Have sort of the same issue here. We are installing two 1310's (G-radios) to link two buildings. While the above solution works in the lab, I need to know if this solution will allow for DHCP-traffic through the wireless uplink.

When I put one of the 1310's into Workgroup Bridge-mode, I immediately get an SSID Mismatch. This effectively means that the boxes will not associate, and thus: no communications. Setting both boxes in Workgroup Bridge-mode produces the same result.

Anyone have hints, tips etc? Downloaded the IOS Configuration-guide for the 1300-series boxes and followed the procedures there, but with the same result as above.

Thanks!

Yes, all of the computers in the remote building are using DHCP.

BTW, if you are wondering about some good antenneas, I used two Hawking HAO14SD Directional 14dBi 2.4GHz Outdoor Antennas (mounted them to a wooden pole attached to a concrete block) and they are working great. Only $130 each.

tt

More info: Tried following ttrsux method, but to no avail. Checked the boxes, and they will readily accept connections from computer/clients, but I can under no configuration get them to communicate between themselves in any manner at all.

Long shot, but do you have them on the same channel?

In web management, under Network Interfaces, click on Radio0-802.11G, then click "Settings" at the top.

More info:

On my root AP, in web management, go to "Security" then click "SSID Manager". On the very bottom of that page, I have "Guest Mode" set to NONE, and for "Infrastruction SSID" I selected my SSID I created earlier in the "Express Security" page. I also checked "Force Infrastructure Devices to associate only to this SSID".

On my non-root AP, in web management, under "Security" and then "SSID Manager"; I have the exact same setting except "Force Infrastructure Devices to associate only to this SSID" IS NOT checked.

Hope this helps a bit.

Have any of you tried to use two 1232 to bridge 2 sites 100m apart.
I specc'd out for 3 1300's, 2 Yaggi's lightning arrestors etc, but, as we all know, project admin clerks know far more than us pleb techies, so decided to buy AP's instead "coz they're better aren't they? And we can run twice as many pc's because they are dual band, A and G!"

Hmm 5Gig, 100m Nope, dont think so.

Thanks for any help/light you can shed, got to instal it thursday :0(

Colin

i'm doing the same project over again for a different company, using the exact same equipment. i was wondering if i can just change the IP addresses in the config files (from the first job) and load them to the new cisco 1310s. will this work?

For good measure, I'd change the wep key, ssid and if necessary, the channel.

Hello,

I've managed to setup a point to point with two Cisco 1300s, but I'm not very comfortable with using WEP. Is there a way to use one of the other encryption algorithms without a RADIUS server? Or can one of the 1300s act as a RADIUS server?
I really only need these two devices to see one another and pass traffic between two buildings, but WEP is known to be extremely vulnerable yet I see several people on the forums using it and that really has me puzzled....am I missing something? Is the version of WEP used on the 1300s better than the previous version?

Thanks,

Jay

You should be able to use WPA-PSK for your wireless, dont know why anyone would still use WEP on the bridge link.

Hope this helps

Colin

The only reason some people are still alive, is simply because it's illegal to kill them!! ;0)

why wouldn't one use WEP? is it really that vulnerable or unstable? it's working fine for me.

WEP is extremely vulnerable, it takes less than a million packets to reverse engineer/decrypt it. It'll work fine till someone hacks it.

The only reason some people are still alive, is simply because it's illegal to kill them!! ;0)

yeeeesh!

i guess i need to get with the times. thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back