Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Aironet 1200 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddock55

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2007
GB
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this access point?

Basically We already have 5 of these hosting 4 wireless networks.

Is there any way to force the 5th to detect all the current settings without having to manually set it up..

Im new to wireless networks!!!

thanks

Hi,

I'm guessing your 1200 is an Autonomous AP and not used with a Cisco Controller, yes? If so, you can connect to one of your existing AP's using either Telnet, SSH, or a console cable. Once connected, you can save the config to a text file. You would take the same approach with your new AP and copy the config over. However, you may want to modify the text file first and modify settings like Hostname, IP, etc. Hope this helps.

Rgds,

John

Plug the cisco AP into your pc with the console cable

Open Hyper Terminal

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: None

At the ap> prompt – type “enable”

At the Password prompt – type “Cisco”

At the ap# prompt – type “configure terminal”

At the ap(config)# prompt – type “interface BVI1”

At the ap(config-if)# prompt – type “ip address 192.168.50.35 255.255.255.0

Then "enter" then "exit", "exit", "exit"

At ap# enter write memory

The HTTP interface allows you to browse to the saved “Start UUp Config.Txt File on your PC and download the file to the access point. Follow the instructions below to use the HTTP interface:

Step 1 Open your Internet browser. You must use Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5.x or later) or Netscape Navigator (version 4.x).

Step 2 Enter the access point’s IP address in the browser address line and press Enter. An Enter Network

Password screen appears.

Step 3 Enter your username in the User Name field. (Default – Cisco)

Step 4 Enter the access point password in the Password field (Default – Cisco) and press Enter. The Summary Status page appears.

Step 5 Click the System Software tab.

Step 6 Click the Browse button to locate the image file on your PC. Use AP06 Config.txt

Step 7 Click the Load button.

Thanks for the reply..

I have got the config working. All the settings appear to be there, BUT

No wireless devices are connecting to it.
Its sitting in my office and I presume if I join one of the network then it should use this router rather than one further away in the building?

Thanks in advance
N

Doesn't always take the closest AP. i think there is an algorithm that bases association on signal strength and quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back