Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 8831 drops registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyMac4

MIS
Feb 23, 2015
US
We have a Cisco 8831 Conference Room phone that will drop registration @ once or twice a week. After I do a hard reset on it, the phone registers properly and works fine. Any idea's why?

Are you by chance using the included ethernet cable with the ferrite core? We had this problem for several month because we didn't use the included cable because it was to short. The 8831 would lose registration, dead or locked up screen or really bad static/feedback/squealing sound on the audio. A reboot correct the issue for about a week, sometime a bit longer.

After a bitch session with our vendor and a demand for refund on 30 of those thing, it turns out, there's some use/function to those ferrite core after-all. At our vendor request via Cisco TAC, we removed the ferrite core/bead from the original cable and put it on our own cable and no more issues with the 8831.

Try that if you haven't - good luck. At 800.00 a pop, I would think they would work better...

Huh?....What?!? Are you pulling my leg?
We are NOT using the provided cables with the ferrite core- too short! We are using our own ethernet cable w/ no ferrite core. I'm going to try this asap and let you know.

I use other network cables and do not have this issue. The piece you are talking about reduces noise. So it has a use yes, but i think both of you had another issue.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

Have you got the latest firmware to support the set type? I had something similar last year. we had a batch of newer conf units installed, randomly the would unreg after a few days/weeks. turned out that they downgraded the firmware when they arrived so it was the same for all the conf units on site.

So after arguing about it for over a month the decided to listen & upgraded them all the latest firmware just before Christmas, hey presto no issues since.

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back