Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 831

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelflorendo

Technical User
Dec 5, 2004
US
hi!
i've been working at this for weeks. i'm trying to setup remote desktop for windows on my network and i can't seem to get it to work from outside my lan. i'm able to connect to my server from within so i'm assuming it has something to do with my dsl modem (actiontec GT701-w) and my cisco router. i've tried setting up port forwarding on port 3389 on both but it doesn't seem to work. i set up port forwarding on the modem to go to my internal network 10.10.10.1 (router WAN interface), then on the router to go to 10.10.10.100 (remote desktop server). anyone have any ideas or had any experience setting something like this up?

Double NAT'ting doesn't work too well. Why do you have to use the ISP modem as a router? You should just use the 831 as the router doing the NAT.

thanks for the reply. the only problem is that my isp uses PPPoA which isn't supported on my router. would it be better to just not use the router and let the modem handle the leasing of addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back