Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 805's leased line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmondeoman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2002
GB
I need to connect 2 offices via a 1mb leased line. I was going to use cisco 805's with serial x21. Id the leased line fails the remote office is dead as the accounts software runs from the main office. Can anyone suggest an alternative router maybe with an isdn backup interface??? ADSL is not availabel otherwise we couls use that.

Thanks

Shaun

Have a look at the 1601 which is 1 port serial with expansion slot that can take an ISDN card, or the 1603 which has on board ISDN and 1 WAN expansion slot.

Alternative is a second router, Cisco 800 series, HSRP between the 2. Then, if the serial line or router fails you can fall over to ISDN.

I suppose its down to cost as to which is the best.

I have been looking at the 1603 r which have

Cisco 1603 R—one Ethernet, one ISDN Basic Rate Interface (BRI) (S/T interface), one WAN interface card slot

If i was to install a WIC-1B-S/T-LL which is a one-port, ISDN BRI S/T (leased line only) for the Cisco 1603 R and Cisco 1604 R, i could then connect the 2 offices together by lease line and then by ISDN if the leased line fails. Will it automatically fail over or will I need to reconfigure it?? How much Cisco experience do you have. I am new to Cisco.
Thanks Shaun

Shaun,

The router can easily be configured to fall over to the IDSN in the event of a leased line failure.

You would need to check the suitability of the WAN interface card to match your particular LL circuit, in the UK they normally present 2mb as X21 as you specified in your original post. The interface card to use in this case is a WIC-1T, and a CAB-X21 interface cable.

I've configured lost of 1600 series routers to do this, its unfortunate that the 800 series only have 1 WAN interface.

To make this work effectively I would recommend running EIGRP across the WAN LL. Point a floating static over the ISDN, then if the LL fails, the ip route entries drop out of the routing table, the router then uses the static via the ISDN.

something like:

Int s0
ip addr 10.255.1.1 255.255.255.252

int bri0
encap ppp
no ip addr
ppp auth chap
dialer pool-member 1

int d1
ip addr 10.255.2.1 255.255.255.252
encap ppp
ppp auth chap
dialer string remote-ISDN-No
dialer remote-name REMOTE-ROUTER-NAME
dialer-group 1

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

router eigrp 100
network 10.0.0.0
passive-interface d1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.255.2.2 200

Andy

Thanks Andy if I have any other problems I will drop you an emial if thats ok with you.

Thanks

Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back