Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 800 Router - Web Outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trussman

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
We installed the Cisco 800 series router. This was a replacement for a Netgear router. Since doing so, the router has performed excellently. I would recommend this router to everyone.

Now the problem is, since doing so, we cannot access the Exchange through the internet ( We get an HTTP 404 Not Found error. We need to access the Exchange this way internally if someone is out of the office and we need to check their email without changing their password, or if someone's computer is down for repair, they can check their email internally from any computer.

Checking email this way from the outside works fine. It is just when logged into a computer internally on the network we cannot gain access.

Port 25 and 80 are open. But I cannot find any other reason why it is not working. Please if anyone has a solution, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

Well, first, if you're using HTTP, that means you're sending your domain userid and passwords across the Internet in clear text. Not good.

Anyway, are there any other web sites hosted on this box that you could test? Are the hosts that are accessing OWA on the same subnet as the Exchange server? Can you ping the IP? Is this box like dual-homed or anything and could the web site be bound to a different IP? If you http to just the IP without the /exchange, you will probably get an "under construction" message if you haven't modified anything else on this box, can you check that?

I'd also try directly from the server to see if you can access the page, like:

Is there another way other than the internet to use OWA internally? I would be willing to use something else.

I tried to access it from the server, got the same error. When using just the IP, a dialog box comes up asking for Level 15 access information. I try my name and password, nothing. I try the server name and password, nothing. The box just comes back and asks for name and password again.

Ping works. We are all on the same subnet.

We are a small company. This network is pretty simple and basic. The server is only used for email and file storage. The site is only our localhost IP.

This works when connected outside the network, for example from home, just when connected internally, it does not work. It is almost as if you cannot create that loop out and then back in.

I do remember that with the old router, a page would appear showing links to an internal website, contacts, and some other areas that we have not yet setup.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question. If you're on your internal network and you open up IE and go to your OWA address, you're not really "using the Internet". Do you have a separate OWA server that's in your DMZ separate from your Exchange server? Or are ports 25/80 being forwarded to the same place?

No we do not have a separate OWA server. We have just one server in our office running Server SB with Exchange. Both ports are forwarded to the same place.

If you are trying to access OWA from the internet you need to use the public ip address.

It's only internally that this doesn't work...

He said externally, it works fine.

I was able to do this before we got the Cisco router. There has to be a way of doing this internally using the Cisco router.

If you are doing it internally, then the router doesn't even come into play.

Ok. Then what is the answer? The reason for this is to check email for people who are out of the office and cannot check them, or when their computer is down for repairs.

If people out outside the office, they are external ... not internal ... hence the confusion. Does OWA work internally?

No. That is what I am trying to figure out. Is how to get that to work internally.

I imagine you have static NAT configured to the email server so outside users can get to it, right?
At this point, I think you should post a config...

Burt

Guys - I got it figured out. And after going back and re-reading a post from chipk, it made more sense (his 2nd response). Basically I typed in the internal IP for the server with /exchange and it gave me the sign-in box. After entering my username and password, the OWA showed up.

I am still learning the whole network deal. I have now figured out, that when I am in the office and on the network, I have to use the internal IP addresses. When I am from home, I have to use the external IP addresses.

Thanks to everyone for the help. This is the best forum for this kind of help.

I,m happy you figured it out.

I´m having a similar problem:

On a normal webpage (hosted on a webhotel) I use images from our local webserver behind a cisco 871

When i open the webpage on my home-computer the images are shown just fine (my port forwarding is working)

BUT when i open the webpage on computers on same lan as local webserver the page wont show the images. Port forwarding is not working. I cant use the local IP on the webpage, because then the images offcause wont work outside my own lan.

Its like the exchange server problem above - i dosn´t work when i access my own wan-webserver IP from an computer inside my network.

Any ideas??

Kindly

Jesper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back