Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 7940 - firewall probs? - setup help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaqte

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2002
US
I'm new to the telecommute biz, and I received a pre-configured cisco 7940... with no instructions.

I've connected the phone to my router, and it is receiving an IP... but I can't dial out & no one can dial in.

I have a feeling that the problem is with my firewall with my router. I have a Dlink-624 router. Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.

In regards to the router, is there a better one you would suggest for handling the phone?

Well it depends on a lot of things, you can not just plug in a phone to your router and it will work... It has to be connected to a device to tell it what to do... like Astrix, CallManager, CallManager Express...

Astrix is a SIP based (linux based) Not gonna lie, never really played with this one yet and havent the slightest clue on setting it up, wasn't really impressed with the way it looked on the interface.

CallManager is SIP/SCCP/MGCP/H323 based (depending on what software version) <Cisco> Also note that this set up is done via a server and actually takes quite a bit to set up. Plus it can be very expensive... I do work with this one on a daily basis

CallManager Express is pretty much a SCCP/H323, phone system in a router... <Cisco> This one is still a lil pricey but in my opinion nice for a small office... I have set up quite a few of these in the lab, pretty simple to do if you know the concepts behind it and you can get a really awesome lab book off of ciscopress that can get you started...

But you will need a Cisco router, DSP's, FXO card, switch that you can manage by having multiple VLAN's (supports voice vlans)..

I hope some of this helped and didn't scare you away...

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Thanks for the response! I got it figured out... something was missing on their end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back