Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 675, NAT and changing IP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperw

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
US
Hey people, I'm new to this forum but I've been pulling my hair out over a problem.

I have a cisco 675 dsl router using qwest as my ISP. It's set up as a DHCP server and we have a single "static" ip. Since there are about 6 users using this single IP with varied wants for NATting, I find I usually have to add quite a few nat entries as well as remove the old ones every time our "static" ip changes (about every 3 months) Granted, this isn't static at all, but is close enough that I just put the quotes around it. I have users who want : the IRC port, the http port, various game ports, etc.

The problem is, I don't want to retype in these entries every time our IP changes. Is there any way to load a config file into the router that will change all of the entries simultaneously (removing old entries and entering new ones) or is there a program that will allow me to change this stuff easily rather than telnetting to the router and manually entering in each IP and port? It seems like I would not be the only one in this situation and that a program would exist. If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it alot. Thanks!

Hello,
I have simular situation at home using Road Runner. The problem is that the Cisco routers do not use DHCP client software to obtain the IP. My solution was to put a linux box between the router and the ISP with two ethernet interfaces. This make the Linux box the NAT and I just place a TRUE inside static on the router interface. The linux box (SUSE) uses IPChains. One interface to the router and the other uses DHCP to get the IP from RR. When the IP changes it has no effect on the router. The linux box allows you to use whatever ip is on the INTERFACE verses a known permanant IP for NATTING inside to ouside.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back