Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 4507 - new module 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nknowlton

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
GB
I want to install a new module in our 4507. The documentation say's that it is hot swapable but is it ?! Will my switch reset when I add the module or as I hope the new module will just join the others ?

I am pretty sure they are hot swapable but if its in production, make sure you are prepared for the switch to go down ( After Hours). I installed ours but they are in production so I can't check to be 100%

I've added new modules to my 4507 while it's running, and it's no problem. I wouldn't worry about it. It's designed to be that way.

The only problem might be changing one slot from say a 48 port card into a 24 port card.

You can add or remove cards while the switch is running , if the switch reboots then it's a code bug and cisco should be notified . That's why they built these with slots so you could add them as you need them otherwise everyone would just use a stacked solution . Plug away !!!!!!!!!!!

They are hot swapable, but you like someone pointed out earlier. If the modules are different you will get an error when the module initializes. This results from the configuration being different. The config was expecting a certain type of card and has a different type of card now. To fix this you need to clear the config for that particular module then it will be ok. Just make sure you clear the config for that one card and not the entire config. If you do that you'll definitely take an outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back