Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 4000 Switch Interface Shutdown 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayla6

MIS
Jun 1, 2005
US
Hello! I mistakenly did the shutdown command on the Vlan interface on one of my switches. Now I am unable to telnet into the switch with its IP address or even ping the switch. The switch is up and operational but I need to get on to issue the no shutdown command on the interface. I tried connecting a rollover cable to it with a Windows 98 laptop. I used Hyperterminal and set the options to connect with the com port. However, I do not get a prompt to logon to the switch. I am not sure what I can be doing wrong. Please help me. I need to get this working asap. The IOS is 12.2. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If it killed you as soon as you did the shut , then just reload the switch and it will load the config without the shutdown command . The flat black cisco cable that came with the switch should work , I would look at your terminal emulator . Personally I would download Tera Term terminal emulator and use that , hyperterm can be a pain in the you know what . 9600, 8,n, 1 is the settings.

Yes - as soon as I typed in sh, it hung up and I had to just close my telnet session. When you say to reload, do you mean power cycle the switch?

I just downloaded something called Koala Term because I was thinking that HyperTerminal is just acting flaky or something. I did have the correct terminal settings 9600, 8, 1, none. I wasn't getting any prompt though, just like I wasn't connected. I am plugging the RJ45 flat cable into the Console port on the switch, there is also a 10/100 mgmt port and I tried that too, got nothing.

I once had troubles as well connecting to a switch via the Console cable with a Laptop.
My solution was, insert the console cable on both ends then power up the laptop, start windows and use Hyperterm with the 9600,8,n,1 settings. Restarting the Laptop didn't work either.

Is the console port logon disabled by the IOS? If so, then there's no alternative than to power down the switch and power up again.

I have no idea if the console port is disabled. I have another switch configured just like it so how can I check to see if it is disabled? I can look at the configuration on the switch that I can telnet to. Please let me know. Thanks for all your help!

I think he means to do a show run and see if line con 0 (the console port) has any weird configuration. It should say

line con 0
password cisco -*optional
login

I don't see why it would be disabled.

also, maybe the cable is bad.

If there is a spare desktop computer around , try moving it over to your switch.

The fastest solution would be to power cycle the switch. Assuming you have done a copy running-config startup-config in the past, the switch will load the configuration that was saved.

To be sure, Here are the correct hyperterminal settings

bits per second 9600
data bits 8
parity none
stop bits 1
flow control none

I tried another laptop with Windows XP and that worked! Thank you so much!

I appreciate all of your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back