Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3750 w/ Mitel 3300 Phone System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottb134679

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2010
US
My current environment is using Mitel phones with HP Switches. The HP Switches are being removed and replaced with Cisco Switches. When I plug a Mitel phone into the HP switch the Phone boots fine. When I plug into a Cisco Switch I get DHCP Discovery and then it will timeout with Option 125 Missing. I have been trying to tag the traffic and untag the traffic with no success. My brain is starting to hurt so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Data Vlan--Vlan 1--IP Address 10.14.1.x /24
Voice Vlan--Vlan 50--IP Address 10.14.5.x /24

Port on Switch:
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
switchport
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,50
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree guard root
auto qos voip trust

and I have tried this:

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 1
switchport voice vlan 50
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree guard root
auto qos voip trust

Cisco Switch Port Connecting to HP Switch (Mitel System is on HP Switch)
int f0/48
auto qos voip trust
spanning-tree portfast

or
int f0/48
sw tr nat vlan 1
auto qos voip trust

Here is the Current HP Switch Config. The Mitel System is plugged into Port 1 which is untagged

vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 2-18,20-26
ip address 10.14.1.60 255.255.255.0
no untagged 1,19
exit
vlan 50
name "Voice"
untagged 1,19
ip address 10.14.5.254 255.255.255.0
tagged 2-18,20-21,23-26

For starters, don't worry about the "Sw mode access/sw voice vlan 50" config - it's specific to CDP-supporting devices, which means it mostly only helps Cisc0. (But check - your Mitel phones may have CDP, you never know.) For non-Cisco devices, I never use this type of config.

My first change I would make to the above would be to change it from "spanning-tree portfast" to "spanning-tree portfast trunk". This will bring the port up in a couple of seconds instead of about 35s, which could cause your DHCP request from the phone to time-out.

I'm a bit confused about your topology.
Are you saying you are keeping an HP switch, which is the switch the Mitel system is on, with a trunk to a new Cisco switch that the phone is on?

If so, what you need to ensure is that the trunk ports are matching up.

Go over your topology and identify each relevant interface on the path between phone and phone system and review each interface's config.

Checking that will take care of something as simple as a mis-matched trunk config.

Another suspicion I would have is if you are removing an HP switch which is Layer-3 and providing routing for your two VLANs, then you may have forgotten to include a DHCP-helper on the replacement Layer-3 Cisco switch.

Maybe clarify your topology and include detail of where your DHCP server is?

Thanks for your help. Currently the Phone System is plugged into the HP Switch. I will be removing the HP switch on Friday night but I'm trying to do pre-testing to insure I won't have any problems Friday night. So I have a Cisco 3750, with some test Phones Attached, hooked up to the HP Switch. I belive the DHCP Scope is setup Mitel Phone System but I will verify that tomorrow.

I will try all the suggestions that you listed and see if anything works. Thanks again for your help

Two things: 1) the Mitel phones support CDP so you can use the switchport voice vlan 50 if you want and they will pick it up. 2) like Vince said, double-check your layer 3 device and make sure it has a helper-address configured on the vlan50 svi. I completed a full Mitel deployment about 2 months ago in my environment and it went very smooth.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Thanks again for your guys help. The HP switch was trunking and my Cisco Switch wasn't trunking. I changed the Cisco Switch and were good now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back