Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3750 Switch & 1603 Phone Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbohn1

MIS
Apr 5, 2010
US
thread940-1713195

Recent install with 90 9608 phones and 36 1603 phones. 9608 phones do not have the following problem.

Problems are with the Cisco 3750 switch ports and the 1603 phones, the 9608 phones DON'T display this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
===============================
Summary of Issue

All of the phones are on Cisco 3750 switches.
The phone ports are configured as follows (they have been configured this way since I set them up in my office to register.
200 is my data vlan
500 is the avaya vlan
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 200
switchport voice vlan 500

1) For the problematic phone 1603 phone that was working on Monday and quit working when it was put into a different switch port.

When I cleared the config (mute craftclear#) and bring it up on any of the cisco ports
Comes up "No ethernet" and is followed by DHCP that countinues to count the seconds.

On the Cisco port it shows "line protocol is down (not connected".
It was suggested changing from auto to forced speed/duplex - no luck.

However we decided to see what would happen on one of my HP switches (none are POE however I had a power injector available to use).
The HP port was set up as "untagged 200", "Tagged 500"
The same phone was disconnected from the cisco port and connect to the HP port.
It came up and I could register it as extension 4044.

I then moved it back to the CISCO Switch (figured that since it registerd it would work).
back to "no ethernet" and the switch at line protocol is down (not connect)

Moved it back to HP switch - reboot
"No FileSV Address" (this is what both Scott and I saw on the breakrm phone, before it went into endless reboot mode - and we decided to RMA)
Clear the config again and I can register it back on the HP switch.

Other things tried (without any success)
Change CISCO Port to
(after clearing config again)
Switchport trunk encap dot1q
Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk native vlan 200
Switchport trunk allowed vlan 200,500

Change CISCO PORT
(after clearing config again)
Switchport mode access
Switchport access vlan 500

setup option 242 in the data vlan DHCP server (L2=1,L2qvlan=500).

Avaya phones and Cisco switches is always pain in the .. well, somewhere you do not want it.....

Have you tried a 1603 with a power injector on the cisco switch. I've never liked the 1603 handeset due to that horrid poe adaptor tjat is required

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Maybe this document shines a light on it or do a google search.
I always had issues with Cisco switches & other brand IP Phones ( I am NOT a Cisco expert ) and found that the HP switches co-operate a lot better with Avaya.

Thank you for the responses...

At first we thought it may have been the Cisco switch ports, but we now believe we have a few bad 1603 phones, but more than likely bad 1603 power PoE adapters. I am in the process of RMA'ing, we'll see what happens with different hardware.

This is the response to your above suggestions from the hands on field engineer:
Response to Okkie26 - I had option 242 set up, it was set to L2qvlan=500 and I changed it to L2=1,L2qvlan=500. This did not help.

Response to MattKnight - changed the config on the CISCO port to "power inline never" and used a POE injector and the problem 1603 came up without issue.

We then took a "good" 1603 PoE adapter from a working phone, and put it in the problematic phone and that phone came up, so we have some flaky 1603 PoE adapters.

>so we have some flaky 1603 PoE adapters.

They (1603 PoE adapters) are (and always have been) a nasty bodge...

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

L2=1,L2qvlan=500 needs to be L2Q=1,L2QVLAN=500

Also make sure you router/dhcp server and the IPO don't have a TAGGED port on the switch!

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back