Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3640 flash upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weatherlight

Vendor
Aug 4, 2004
US
A customer asked us to go ahead and upgrade their 3640 to 32 megs of flash on board. I ordered the memory kit from Cisco (P/N MEM3600-8U32FS) and installed it today... I am getting an error on startup: ERROR: FLASH SIMM 0 size is illegal.

I originally tried it with the original 8 meg flash card in there in bank 1, but when it failed, I removed the 8 meg (even though Cisco documentation says there shouldn't be an issue) SIMM and swapped the new 32 meg simm into bank 0...

I'm stuck - I can't find any information relating to this, so... I'm at yer mercy!!

Thanks in advance...

It gives me the illegal error in the bootstrap, before the IOS loads...

not sure about 3640.. but some routers need a ROM upgrade to support the higher flash/mem options if they are older.

32M of flash in a 3640 is typically 2 16MB simms..

Guys, thank you for your help. TireMD, you helped a LOT... I researched further into this, and it turns out the vendor we purchased it from sent us a memory kit for a 3660...

It works fine with two 16 meg simms now...

Thanks for the help, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back