Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3640/1600 timed access lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhonline

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2000
GB
I've been given the task (nobody else wants to do it) to modify the existing routers (1 x 3640 & 4 x 1600s) so that they can only bring up the ISDN lines during office hours.

At the moment someone has to be on site at the of the day to shutdown the E1 1/0 interface and enable it the next morning. Someone has got it in to there heads to give me the task of automating this via timed access lists.

I have researched the subjuct through this forum and on the cisco web site but as a newbie to cisco IOS some of it is a bit confusing - brain overload!

Any assistance/example configs would be of great help and get me out of a hole.

Thanks,

Mike.

Ok how cool is this!!! first time for me with this command but i'm gonna use it every where after this.

you need to set up a time-range that coincides with your hours of operation. I assumed that your business opens at 08:00 and closes at 17:00. so i went into conf t and did this

&quot;time-range inet&quot; <-----enter this it creates a time range called inet

then do this
periodic daily 8:00 to 17:00 <----- this says that the time-range is in effect everyday from 8 am til 5pm router time. by changing daily to weekdays you can make it only true mon- fri I wasn't sure if you were open on weekends so change it if you need.

next create an access list that you can assign to your dialer or even right to the bri interface. i did this one because i'm making it cut and dry you'll probably have to modify it to fit your needs

access-list 199 remark INET LIST FOR DAYTIME
access-list 199 permit ip any any time-range inet
access-list 199 deny ip any any

the second line says only evaluate this line when the time-range is true (only between 8am and 5 pm router time.

next assign this access list to the interface that controls the line (most likely what ever dialer that sparks the dial on traffic is where you want to put this. Let me know.

Mark

Just a point. i'm not sure if the ios on your 1600 will support this you should check that. i know the 3600 will.
Mark

It goes a little deeper then that one command statement to set a time range. Link:

See setion: &quot;Define a Time Range'

For the time range feature to work the way you intend, you need a reliable clock source. This link will help you out. Link
Cisco recomends using Network Time Protocol. Route once; switch many

Thanks, I'll try it out and let you know how I get on.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back