Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3529's GBIC not working??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
US
Hello,
I have a couple of 3529 switches I decided to use in a temp office, they both have 2 gigabit ethernet GBIC slots and I cannot get any of them to work. When I plug in the 1000 BaseT GBIC's the switches recoognize them but I cannot get these two ports to come up. when I run the No Shutdown command the ports go up and then a second later they go back down. Is this an incompatibility issue as far as the GBIC's are concerned? I have 4 GBIC's and two switches they can't all be bad. Thanks in advance for you help.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
- Confucius (551 BC - 479)

Are you using Multi mode or single mode fiber GBICS? What is the distance between the switches? Same building or a few miles down the road...?

CCNA, Network+

Thanks for the response, the switches are 3524 not 3529's sorry about that, the GBIC's are 1000 Base T not fiber. They are right next to each other, I am still setting them up. Any ideas?

Also the switches are running 12.0(5)WC17 IOS and the GBIC's are G5483 which according to Cisco there is no compatibility issues. And like I said the switch detects the them.

Octavian10 - I have the same GBIC issue. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

I have always heard to ALWAYS use Genuine Cisco GBICs. Most third party GBICs will say "Cisco compatible", but don't believe it.

Burt

NegreteH,
This is what I had to do to get these to work,
Power down the switch (hopefully you can),
insert the GBIC's, attatch something to the GBIC (another switch, router, computer, some form of ethernet, power up the switch and they should be there. The biggest thing is to have something connected to the GBIC when the switch runs POST. I did this with 2 switches and 4 GBIC's and they all worked, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back