Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3500 xl switches troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

billhbonny

Programmer
May 21, 2001
US
When a big file hits our cisco switch it resets!!! If anybody could tell me how to run diagnostics on it and now anywhere I could get info on how the switch works could you please email me!!!!!!!

Thanx

first do a show post to see if you passed the last power on.

there are some basics you can run but i'd be interested in a ping through a loopback with large-sized numerous packets. the loopback is to keep it limited within the asic primarily...

now do a show controllers ethernet-controller fa0/1 (the test interface).

i don't remember right now how many asics are in the 2900's (1 master, 1/4 ports, ...?) but if there were more than one it'd make sense to span asics...

you can also turn on select debugs like for ethernet-interface.

also, you didn't mention the switch model but you could take an l3 rev of 2948g and check the ios bug matrix (just a thought).

did you do an update to eliminate a bad image?

i hope this little rant helps in some way. have to run...

matthew

sorry just remembered the title...the bug matrix should still be checked anyway - especially as you're decided to burn the ios back.

you can always get a smartnet agreement on it if you get desperate or want to have an easier time at it.

best of luck.

matthew

I would definitely do a show post to make sure no errors showed up during startup. I would also do a show int and look at all the ports to see if there are any major errors or large collision sizes. If you haven't cleared the counters lately you could do that and let it run for a few hours or a day depending on how often your switch resets and then look at the interfaces. I run 3548xl's here and never ran into that problem. It could also be that the IOS somehow became corrupt and you may need to reflash it.
Another thing to check would be to see if any workstations or other switches are causing looping problems. If you have dual nics in some workstations that are not configured for teaming or load-balancing that may cause a problem or if you have a loop linking the switches. That usually won't happen if all your switches are cisco because the switch knows to cut one of the links so looping doesn't occur, but if you are linking that switch to another brand switch it may be possible.
You could also check the documentation for your switch on Cisco'site at this link.
Hope this helps....
Robo
“Convenience is no excuse for good security.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back