Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3500 Switch LED Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd142001

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
US
When I power up a catalyst 3500 switch I immediately get an Amber RPS LED and Amber System come on as well as Amber LED's on ports 3, 7. The ports 10, 14, 18 and 22 are green.

System does not bootup, or I cannot connect via console.

Cisco support site says if the RPS LED is amber then...

"RPS is connected but not functioning properly. One of the power supplies in the RPS could be powered down, or a fan on the RPS could have failed."

..but I dont have a Redunant power supply connected. Any pointers greatly appreicated.

I also get thiss message @ post.

@@@@@þ

FYI.. those switchse have a lifetime warranty.. I'd call cisco

burtsbees,
I'm using the typical connection settings, listed below. I am able to connect to my other cisco swtiches with the same console cable and settings.

Settings:

Com1
8 bit
no parity
stop bit 1
hardware flow

BuckWeet,
I'm not sure about the warrenty. The company that provides our warrenties had said they will no longer provide a warrenty on this equipment because Cisco does not support them anymore. If this is not true, please let me know the process of how to handle this.

I have a feeling this switch needs parts replaced, and I have no problem doing that. I'd just like to know what parts and if this is a easy fix. Thanks for all your help.

bd

Those switches are well past end of life they will not replace them .

the 3500 series has a lifetime warranty.. cisco should still replace it..

Code:
'Limited Lifetime Warranty'

Read the smallprint... This hit me this week when trying to get a 3550-12G replaced/repaired by Cisco. Apparently the switch must be returned to the original supplier, you can't just return it directly to Cisco, this is a requirement of the limited lifetime warranty. Cisco keep records as to who they supplied the hardware to originally.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back