Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 3002 VPN dropping connection to Cisco 3000 Concentrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

salonge

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2008
US
I have a setup in which I inherited. I have Cisco 3002 VPN routers at several sites which connect to the Cisco 3000 Concentrator at the headquarters. Almost daily the admins at these sites have to manually connect the 3002 VPN runnel to the Concentrator. I have upgraded the firmware, but the problem still persists. There is nothing obvious as to why this happens and most of the time once connected stays connected until the next morning. Any suggestions as to why this happens and how it can be fixed?

how are the offices connected? dsl? mpls? is the circuit dropping? does it happen that same time each day?

The offices are connected multiple ways. The ones that are having the problem are connected via a T1. It seems to happen overnight, thus making the office managers manually reconnect the router.

are that statically assigned IP address or dhcp for the T1? what it the timeout for the tunnel? on the 3000, its User Management, Groups, General tab under 'idle timeout'

They have static IPs, and the timeout is 30 minutes.

so after 30 minutes of inactivty, the tunnel drops. change it to 0 (zero) so it does not time out. you can make this change on a per tunnel basis to test on one of the tunnels

I also noticed that the Wins DNS ip was incorrect in the ones that dropped. I changed it to the correct one also. i will see if that works.

It has been a week and so far so good. I will definitely find out over the weekend.

Update, all the routers had to be manually reconnected this morning. So I guess that did not work.

It worked for a week---are the Wins DNS ip addresses incorrect again? I would look at whatever tells them what the correct address is, or the WINS server itself...someone hacking in and changing /etc/hosts?lol

/

The bit bucket is probably full. You might want to empty it. ;)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back