Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2950's: FULL DUPLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth23

MIS
Dec 11, 2005
GB
Hello,

How do I configure all ports on a Cisco 2950 48 port switch to Full duplex?

I have Cisco Network Assistant installed and can see how I change each port individulay but not how to change all ports on the switch.

Can this be done?

I have three 2950’s all with GBIC connections and one CAT6 to another area. So 3 x 48ports and 1 x 24 port.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

The way I do it would be

config t
interface range fastethernet 0/1 - 48
duplex full
end

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNA2,CWNA, Project+

Hmm, so there's no way of accomplishing this in Network assistant manager?

It's just tat i'm too familiar with cmd line stuff...

Hi,

sorry, not too familar with NAM.

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNA2,CWNA, Project+

The default is for Auto. Why would you need to hard set to full duplex? I have only ever had to mess with the speed and duplex when connecting to an old 10-base-t device then had to set the port to 10 half duplex.

I recall reading someing on CNA and it was related to the smartport section and then in the device setup tab I believe there is a way to build a Cisco global macro and apply to the interfaces. Take a visit to Cisco and take a look at that.

Joamon,

Yeah, all the ports are displayed as AUTO, so is this ok? I mean what will determine whether or not a computer/printer will run in full or half duplex? I guess it will be the NIC and what that supports!!!

Will the switch always attempt to use FD, then if the network device cannot support it, use HD?

Thansk

Most fast ethernet NIC will run at 100 full when connected to a switch port in auto. I usally like to lock in the setting for older 10-base-t devices as 10 half to avoid any problems. Some routers have ethernet ports that only have a max speed of 10 but can operate in full duplex. I like to port match these as well. If you think you have any mis-match in CNA go to reports, views, system messages and look for anything that says duplex mis-match.

I've seen a bad windows driver or a windows nic set to something other than auto cause a switch port defined as auto to go to half/100. When I ran a Sh int fa0/x, I would see collisions and errors, and of course the negotiated speed. In my environment, older hp printers and terminal servers run at half/10.

Typically, if there is a duplex/speed misconfiguration on a port it will show excessive collisions. Unless you know something is setup manually (e.g. an older HP printer with JetDirect), then just leave it on a-duplex and a-speed and monitor the ports for collisions. If you see a port with excessive collisions, determine the proper setting and apply it to the switch.

If you hard-code the speed and duplex on one end of a link (Host or Switchport) you MUST hard-code the other as well. If you don't you will have a duplex mismatch - i.e. one end full-duplex and the other half-duplex. Unless you have devices that can't auto negotiate I would leave them alone. Some older NIC's (5+ years) may have problems with duplex negotiation but its very rare.
Problems usually arise when 'clever' server guys hard-code their server NIC's and then complain to the network guys when backups take forever...

HTH

Andy

Your network Layer 2 device will always negotiate at the slower speed and duplex of the two devices.

We usually keep our ports at auto, however there are a few Sun devices that are really particular about being set to Full-100 (both side, obviously).

I suggest leaving them set to AUTO. If you think there are problems, type> "show int count err" and you'll see errors on any of the culprits. Adjust as required.....

We have some old 2500 series routers with 10mb/half interfaces. They negotiate correctly but CDP gets annoyed when it doesn't see both sides of the connection set the same and generated a lot of speed/duplex mismatch messages.

Hey all,

I'm going to leave the ports as AUTO as suggested by many.

Thanks for all the responses, very useful indeed.

Good move. I'll belatedly add my recommendation to leave switchports and devices set to AUTO. You should only try hard-setting speed and duplex when autonegotiation fails, which is almost always caused by a bad NIC or bad driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back