Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2950 crossover problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

temple11

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
US
Hello,

I have two cisco 2950 switches (IOS rev12.1.11) that I am attempting to connect together. these only have an IP configured on them everyting else is default.

If I use a crossover from switch two to switch one, the port I am using on switch two disappears from vlan1. The port remains UP/UP.

If I configure the connecting ports with the command "switchport mode dynamic auto" then all ports will play in VLAN1 on both switched but I am still unable to ping Switch2.

There is really nothing special to this config, what am I missing?

any help would be appriciated.

thanks.

Try configuring the connecting ports as trunks...
e.g.
config# interface fast-ethernet 0/1
config-int# switchport
config-int# switchport mode trunk

Cheers,
Phil.

If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Does that mean you dont need a cross over if you use trunks ??? I want to link up 2 2950s so if i use trunking i can use a straght cable ?

Switch ports are identified by an "X". Every time you connect an "X" port to another "X" port (for example, switch to switch) you need a crossover cable. When connecting dissimilar ports, an "X" port to a non-"X" port (for example, PC to switch) you need a straight cable.
You need a crossover cable, it does not matter if you are using trunk or not.

Ok so if I have a gigabit port on the 2950 and want to connect it to another gigabit port on another 2950 would a crossover cat5 work ?

fmonteiro -
How do you designate a port to be "X" on a Cisco 3550 Switch?

sinecure-
I think the designation fmonteiro was talking about is not an actual command, but rather a theory. It all deals with DTE and DCE devices. Data Terminal Equipment and Data Communications Equipment. "Small" devices such as NICs on PCs are considered DTE devices. While switch ports are considered DCE devices. If you connect to like devices, you need a crossover. 2 PCs connected to eachother need a crossover, just like 2 switches do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back