Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco 2924xl, stuck when booting, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

uknapster

Technical User
Jul 14, 2007
GB
i have a cisco 2924c xl en switch the 8meg one, which is part of my Cisco lab. (im studying for my CCNA) as it starts to boot i get this, and no more.

Loading "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"...##############################
################################################## ##############################
################################################## #####################

File "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry p
oint: 0x3000
executing...

ive tryed loading ios again but no luck,(same thing happens) ive removed config file as well.
dose anyone have any ideas, please!!

Sounds like it is trying to load , you get nothing else after this ? I would check the config register to make sure it is correct . Otherwise it may have just gone south , this is pretty old . Usually you would get some kind of indication while it is booting that something is wrong though.

Do you have a console cable plugged into it while it is trying to boot, or any ethernet cables plugged in? I had a similar problem with one of my Cat2924XL's like 4 days ago, and it turned out to be the console cable. I unplugged it and it was fine. Otherwise, well...sorry.

Burt

hi thanks for your help, could you give me a few points as to how to cheack config registry and change if needed. as im haveing trouble finding a site that shows you all switch: commands and sub commands

ive forgot to put in first post i tryed a few other ios's all gave same result except one it gave the wrong software for hardware erorr,
also when booting port 1 , 2 go out all rest stay lit even fx ports

I would venture to guess that the config register is correct by the output
"Loading "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"
Are you sure the MODE button is in the STAT position? How much time are you giving it? I would wait like 5 minutes to be sure it has tried loading all the way---if all but two ports are bad, which is uncommon (more common would be one or two of the three, plus or minus the fx ports, staying lit, indicating the module controlling each of the 8 ports is bad), then I would say your switch indeed has met its maker...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back