Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CISCO 2900XL SWITCH DEFAULT PASSWORD FOR "PRIVILEGED EXEC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnterhawk

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
Does anyone know the default password for a Cisco 2924XL Switch for "privileged exec"
I have an old switch that works perfectly fine but I need to be able to get into it.
ALSO is there a way to reset all settings (including passwords) to factory settings incase that password won't work.
I tried Cisco but since it's so old it's out of warranty and they won't help without a contract. (Even just for a default password)
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!

Well you are in luck for two reasons :

1- you dnot have to send break sequence to get password recovery done:

2- im answering this post instead of someone else who's been grumpy lately...

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

Thank you ...If I can apologize up front for sounding stupid ... but how do I send a cntrl+break? What is the "break" key in this situation?

thats the beauty .. i think with your 2924xl i dont believe you need to :

Follow the password recovery procedure below.

1.Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation (for example, Hyper Terminal) to the console port of the switch.

Use the following terminal settings:
*Bits per second (baud): 9600
*Data bits: 8
*Parity: None
*Stop bits: 1
*Flow Control: Xon/Xoff

Note: For additional information on cabling and connecting a terminal to the console port, refer to Connecting a Terminal to the Console Port on Catalyst Switches.

2.Unplug the power cable.
3.Power the switch and Hold down the mode button located on the left side of the front panel, while you reconnect the power cable to the switch. 2900XL, 3500XL, 3550 release the Mode button when the LED above Port1x goes out.

OK I did it and yes i didn't need a cntrl-break...BUT it didn't work... Everything happened just like it said ... and it looked like it worked but when I restarted and went to eneable again ...it asked for the password ...I put in the new password and it didn't work ...;(
So I did it a second time and got the entire same results...;(

did you make it to step 10?

OK ... I printed it out so I could read it carefully and take it step by step and make sure I didn't miss anything. THis time I got thru the whole thing with no errors and it looks like it took it... thank you
However when I restarted ...I did get back in and it seemed to take my password etc. (at least without erroring) But when I tried to set an ip address it still didn't error but I can't see that IP on the network or ping it ...;(
Using the Cisco Network Magic mapper ...that is showing everything else on my network ...I don't see the switch...;(

ok so this one is resolved and you've moved on to a new issue now ...you can post a configuration file so we can look at it here or a start a new thread.

the command is :

show running-config

you can use the short format : sh run

take out any passwords inside your post before you click that "submit post" button.

cheers,

OK I edited the passwords out and shortened it by taking out the "ethernet ports 3 thru 23" which are empty anyway
I see the actual ip address is not what I set it at ...it's pointing to my wirteless router not the sonicwall...

Is there a setting to change that to point to the sonicwall. I take it those settings are manual not automatic... so I have to go in and set them?

Cico2900XL1>enable
Password:
Cico2900XL1#sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Cico2900XL1
!
enable secret 5 $1$p2TQ$RlUGO3BilD7PEDYrXaqnj0
enable password xxxx
!
ip subnet-zero
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!removed the rest from 3 thru 23
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface VLAN1
ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
snmp-server engineID local 000000090200000196445780
snmp-server community private RW
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server chassis-id 0x0E
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
password xxxx
transport input none
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
password xxxx
login
line vty 5 15
password xxxx
login
!
end

configure T (short: conf t)

that will get you into the global configuration mode.

(config)# interface ?

that will get you access to interface command groups.

cisco's website has pretty good manuals as well.
If you need more than that, you'll have to provide a bit more detail, such as what interface is connected to which network.. etc..

cheers and Good Luck

thanks ... in the mean time I got the ip address changed to what I want and the default gateway so now I'm in using Cisco Manager to be able to administer it ...I've added an admin user too so now it's looking like it's all good. I just have to learn how to administer it now .... and yes Cisco's site has all I need for that...;)
thanks for all your help
Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back