Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2811 static nat setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrackoviak

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2011
US

I'm new to configuring a router and I'm lost and I might be over thinking the whole thing but I figured I'd post and see what I get. I have a link balancer that is getting 2 internet connection from the same isp and because both of the internet connections are coming from the same isp they are within the same subnet. Each internet connection has 13 static IP's associated with it. My link balancer is obviously not going to be able to accept both internet connections on the same subnet because there is no way its going to be able to do the routing. I thought I could create a simple static nat that would allow me to fool the link balancer into thinking on of the connections was on a different subnet. Basically both of these connections are in front of my firewall so I would really just like the router to NAT everything on one IP and translate it to another IP.

Internet connection 1: 96.212.211.194 - 206

Internet connection 2: 96.212.211.210 - 222

My link balancer on its wan links takes 1 IP so:

wan1: 96.212.211.194

wan2: 192.168.1.2 - hopefully translated by the router to 96.212.211.210

The router has 2 FastEthernet ports 0/0 and 0/1 I've been trying to just configure a static nat. Pasing through the router I’d like to be able to use the other 12 address for servers so I’d like traffic to be able to come in on wan2 as well as go out. I’m aware that I don’t have any security setup on the router at all right now but that’s because I can’t get it to work so I was getting tired of typing in passwords again and again.

This is the configuration that I though would work but I clearly have no idea what I’m doing

Router#show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 660 bytes
!
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
!
resource policy
!
!
!
ip cef
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 96.212.211.210 255.255.255.0
ip nat outside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
!
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.2 96.212.211.211
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end

If I currently ask it to show ip nat translations this is what I get

Router#show ip nat translations
Pro Inside global Inside local Outside local Outside global
--- 96.212.211.211 192.168.1.2 --- ---
Router#

Thanks in advance for any help or any direction you can point me in

I guess the hardest thing about not knowing what you're doing is that you're likely to confuse those who might be able to help you with an oddly worded question. I've been trying to figure out why you would need the load balancer at this stage of the game if you have possibly four WAN interface cards available in your CISCO router. I think you first need to worry about setting up the router and your network before you worry about adding any additional equipment to balance it.

The second thing you need to know is, let the router worry about NAT. Let your domain controller be the DHCP and DNS server also. Unless you have a big enough network to separate those two functions. Don't do static. You'll drive yourself crazy, and nobody does it, so they can't help you.

Finally, you don't "use the other 12 addresses for servers" you learn to create VLANs like everybody else so you can get help when you need it. Because when you have a network problem later on, and you will... if you have an odd setup, all you will get in answers to your future questions is "why did you do that?" instead of answers. So do it the usual way and you'll be better off.

Good effort though. This stuff isn't easy.

Google these:

VLAN
NAT
DHCP
domain controller
DNS
heirarchical star topology
Network+ Video Mentor
CCNA Video Mentor

Best Wishes

Based on your configuration on fa0/1 you have a full class C network. ISP's usually don't waste ip addresses when you only need 13 addresses for each internet connection. Your subnet should be /27 which would be give 32 addresses. If your balancer is having issues tell your ISP to give you different networks. Also, your 2 internet connections should be a /28 which would give you 16 address per internet connection. That will seperate them on different networks. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back