Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2621mx with WIC-1DSU-T1 card config issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kajo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2008
US
had the telco put in a t1 line between two of our locations. put the t1 WIC in the cisco router and put an off brand t1 router at the remote location. configured the t1 interface as best as i could but it still wont come up here is my config as far as the serial interface is concerned.

interface Serial0/0
ip address 192.168.250.17 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
service-module t1 clock source internal
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

any help or suggestions would be apreciated... thanks.

What is the off brand router?

I have a T1 P2P at one of my clients. And I just use the default settings. no ppp and no "service-module" entries. Just set the IP and it worked.

Is the circuit up? Even if the tunnel isn't up, the physical connection should at least be indicated on the WIC. Around here, the phone company gets the initial circuit right about 50% of the time!

If the phyisical side is up, it's in all likelihood a mismatched configuration. Like StaplesMan said, what is the off-brand router? Different brands default differently.

the off brand router is a kentrox and its defauts are ppp encapsulation, esf and b8zs. I tried using all defauts on the interface and only putting the ip address and of course the no shut command but in show int s0/0 it still says Serial 0/0 is down, line protocol is down. On the WIC itself the loopback light is off, the alarm light is solid amber and the CD light blinks green. Right now we are attempting to get ahold of the telco to see if they can test and see if the circuit is up.

Not sure if these are defaults (assuming they are), but have you tried...
service-module t1 linecode b8zs
service-module t1 framing esf

???

Burt

yes i have... and yes they are default... what isnt default is:
service-module t1 clock source internal
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

Well, I would definitely say that the circuit is NOT up. You do have to make sure that the config on this other router matches everything on the Cisco...can you post a config from the other router? I know that is doubtful, but just curious...

Burt

here is as much of it as i can remember as i cannot connect to it at the moment

encapsulation ppp
esf
b8zs
192.168.250.18 255.255.255.252
loop timing

the telco just got done testing the link and they say that it is up. however that serial interface is still down. probably going to check on the kentrox, but i wont be able to do that until later.

you need to find out if the telco is providing clock..
usually they do at both ends and you shouldnt need to run your router off its internal clock..

clock to the line and see if it comes up..
what is the state of the serial on the cisco though?

up/up or up/down????

it is down/down ... it doesnt come up if the clocking is internal or from the line

ok i tested putting a kentrox router from another location in place of the cisco router and it came right up so i know that the line is fine its something with the config on the cisco router or something is just incompatible... has anyone out there configured a t1 conneciton on a cisco router that was connected to a non cisco router on the other end(p2p t1 connection)?

down down means that the cisco isnt even seeing layer 1 signalling on the line...

does the kentronix have some kind of proprietary signalling that makes it incompatible with the cisco?

ive just done some quick searches on google.. and see some posts that say that kentrox uses a different version of hdlc then cisco... ive also see some where they say that the dsu mode needs to be set to kentrox on the cisco router.

youll have to play around with those settings and verify 100% that you have set the kentrox to ppp because its quite possible that your two devices are just talking very different languages right now and thats why it wont come up...

Is it possible that it's using ami linecoding?
Also, for kicks, have you tried hdlc encaps? Just a shot...

Burt

Its probably not frame try this on one end:

interface Serial0/0 <-cisco router
ip address 192.168.250.17 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
bandwidth 1544

and this on the other end:

interface Serial0/0 <-or what ever it is called
ip address 192.168.250.18 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
bandwidth 1544

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

ok as far as the kentrox... it is using EFS for the line type, B8ZS for the line coding(which is what the telco wanted us to use and is what is working on all our other t1 connections), and standard ppp for the encapsulation.... which is exactly what i set the cisco router to do, and as far as i know hdlc is cisco proprietary so only cisco equipment should have it as an encapsulation option. and ive looked through the commands in the serial interface and i dont see anywhere to set csu/dsu settings.... ill have to do more searching online to see if there is anything i can change there. the only two encapsulations that the kentrox will do are ppp and frame relay and i did ask the telco which one it was to veryify and they said it was a p2p connection. and just for kicks i did change the encapsulation to hdlc... didnt change anything. and Roadki11... tried your setup too... and it didnt work either... in any case just for reference and maybe someone will see something that i dont... here is the show interface s0/0

Serial0/0 is down, line protocol is down
Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU
Internet address is 192.168.250.17/30
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation PPP, LCP Closed, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Last input 00:22:14, output 00:22:14, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 22:28:48
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: weighted fair
Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
Conversations 0/1/256 (active/max active/max total)
Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
Available Bandwidth 1152 kilobits/sec
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
2298 packets input, 32172 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 6 giants, 0 throttles
124208 input errors, 3721 CRC, 119521 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 962 abort
2300 packets output, 32200 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 2811 interface resets
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
12 carrier transitions
DCD=down DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=down

Status