Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2621 - Simple Routing Setup, Newbie Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlager

Programmer
Sep 1, 2006
US
I'm moving into a new data center. I don't consider myself a network engineer or anything but I do understand the basics. The new data center I am moving into routes my network to me a bit differently than my old data center, so I thought I'd post here and ask for some help.

The IOS on the Cisco 2621 is: c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin

I am assigned a /29 block which they configure as the routing network, it looks like this:

Routing Network: A.A.A.0
Routing Network Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
Routing Network Def Gateway: A.A.A.1
Customer Usable Address: A.A.A.4

I've been assigned a /28 block which is B.B.B.240/28. They stated that in order for me to use my allocated blocks, I had to act as my own gateway, routing the traffic through the routing network. This goes just a bit beyond my networking knowledge, though I still understand it, I just don't know exactly how to execute. I'm assuming my 2621 with 2 FastEthernet interfaces should be able to handle this routing scenario.

I was wonder if anyone could offer up some sample configs, or possible a link to a howto to get this setup? I was going to use FreeBSD to do the routing, but a appliance based Cisco router is much more attractive of an option to me.

Thanks for any advice.

You would assign the address they give you with the /29 to one port on your cisco router, call it the ISP side. Then you would assign your /28 block to your other port on your cisco router, call it office side or whatever.

On the /29 side they are telling you the IP to assign, on the /28 side you pick an IP from your block(you'd normally use the first one) and assign it to your router. You'd put a static route in the router pointing to the ISP Side default gateway.

Say ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 A.A.A.1

Then if you had a firewall you'd assign it another address in the /28 and point it's default route to the IP of the office side of your router.

Let me know if that makes sense, it's a pretty easy setup so you shouldn't have any issues.

Great thanks for the help, it does sound pretty simple. Appreciate your quick response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back