Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2621 rate-limiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arisythila

Technical User
Jun 3, 2006
US
Hello, I have a cisco 2621 router. I cannot seem to figure out how to work rate limiting on this router. Does anybody know of a how-to guide to do it?

Thanks

~Michael

Burt,

Rate limiting would work, however seeing that they want different limiting based on IP ... full QOS with policing is a better fit.

Is that something that the Cisco router can do? with the HP 2626 I can only rate limit ports not IP addresses.

How would something go about doing something like this?

Thanks Brian!

~Michael

Try this...
rate-limit input access-group 101 625000 2000 3000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
and same numbers with the output. Then tell me the download speeds. Perhaps I misread bytes and bits...

Burt

Okay, I just ran a test.

I used another IP address. I basically ran the speakeasy speedtest.

Before I added it to the access list, I got 30mb down, 15mb up. I added it to the list, now I get 30mb down, 729k up.

So basically its only working for outgoing traffic. not incoming traffic.

(This is after I used your line)

~Michael

something I just noticed.

Specifies the access list number. Classification options are as follows:

•For IP precedence, use any number from 1 to 99.

•For MAC address, use any number from 100 to 199.

•For MPLS experimental field, use any number from 200 to 299.

We were using 101. Maybe this is why its not rate limiting?

~Michael

Last Result:
Download Speed: 30537 kbps (3817.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 971 kbps (121.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

What I get with the original rate-limit command from above.

without it.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 30794 kbps (3849.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 11779 kbps (1472.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I get this.

You have to apply the rate limit on both interfaces for it to take effect both directions

So it's one direction per interface? He can't put rate-limit input and rate-limit output on the same interface? I mean since it does not seem to be working, then that is indeed a good idea...
The thing about access-lists is that 1-99 are standard (basic) and 100-199 are extended (for extended control, at layer 4). So either should work, although perhaps it is a good idea to use standard just for IP, and extended for tcp and such. I guess try that too, and try
access-list 10 permit host x.x.x.x any
and
access-list 10 permit any host x.x.x.x
Perhaps both statements have to be there for both directions?
Looks like it works in the one direction, anyway...

Burt

Sorry to butt into this conversation, but I noticed whilst reading through this post that Arisythila requires a 5 Meg, limit on a download.

Once the config was attached to his router in question he had the following result;

Well, When I download something, It downloads at 5000KB/sec instead of 500-600kb/sec

5000K = 5 Meg

whilst 500kb = 0.5MB

Wasn't 5 meg what you required Arisythila??

In the internet world.

10MB * .125 = 1250KB/sec down.
5MB * .125 = 625KB/sec down.

Have to remember that at a given bandwidth, you only get the max of 12.5% of that.

Okay, I tried the 10 access-list.

Download Speed: 31366 kbps (3920.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 496 kbps (62 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload and download rates. So its conforming upload speeds when i toss it in the access list. BUT it's like its 500,000bps instead of 5,000,000bps.

5000000 5000 5000 is what we put in.

Maybe try to increase it to 50 million, instead of 5 million.

~Michael

increased it to 50,000,000 25,000 25,000

Last Result:
Download Speed: 29554 kbps (3694.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 825 kbps (103.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is very weird.

Kinda wierd. Depending on how I type the access-list line, depends on how it rate limits. If I use the rate limit from above, It rate-limits upload speed, if I use the rate lime from the tek-tips link that t0mm0 posted. IT will rate-limit the download speed.

Is there like a line we can use that will go both ways?

I was looking at it. I was thinking, My goodness... This doesn't look like what I need... LOL.

Burt - just for the record, thats what I said 20 posts ago ... haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back